1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dog Attack.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by huck, Sep 22, 2010.

1. huck

huck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2009
    Maryland
    I was hoping someone could offer some good words to make me feel a bit better about this morning's misadventure. Right now I'm feeling like a terrible chicken mom.

Our foster puppy grabbed one of silkies this morning and shook her pretty badly. I was able to separate the two fairly quickly, but my feathered friend isn't exactly right as rain.

First, the good news. There are no puncture wounds and she let me feel her legs and wings and move them around... so I don't think anything is broken. She can move her head around and coo, which is good, too. But she can't walk very well. She's hunched up and kinda hobbles, and that's only if I try to make her move.

Right now she and her silkie buddy are cuddled up in their own run. I'll give her some time... make sure she's drinking and eating... but is there anything else I can do for her? Or anything I should look out for so I can determine her prognosis?

Success stories of chicken recoveries are very welcome.

Thanks....

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hopefully she is just in shock. Don't beat yourself up, it can happen so fast without warning. Thank goodness no puncture wounds. Just do what you doing now , hopefully she'll snap out of it in a while

3. huck

huck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2009
    Maryland
    Thanks! 24 hours later and the chicken is doing much better. She's moving around, eating, and drinking. Still not standing quite as tall or naturally as she did before the shake up.... but I think she's gonna be okay. Heck, I know if I was grabbed and shaken upside down, I'd need a few days to recover!

Thanks for responding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by