Dog attack

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by 24279102, Dec 4, 2010.

1. 24279102

24279102 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Grand Bay, AL
    People are so irresponsible !! Four dogs came after my chickens this morning and the prettiest one with all the lovely feathers is pretty much bald on her back now with some puncture wounds and a couple of good sized gaping wounds. I've seen worse pictures on here and they seemed to get better so I'm sure she will be okay. But I would like to put her in with the others at night for warmth and then get her out before daylight in the morning. There is no oozing and I have put lots of Bluekote on her. My question is this. Has anyone ever put this on all of them so that they all smell the same? I know we used to put Vicks on the nose of our nurse mares as well as the new baby that we were trying to introduce to her so that she would accept it as hers.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    It shouldn't hurt them to all have Blukote on, but it does stain badly. Any light colored chickens are going to be purple into eternity...or their next molt (whichever comes first). I don't think chickens are nose oriented animals, though, so I don't know if it would have the desired effect. I am curious about that. Let us know what you find out if you try it.

Good luck with your injured. I hope the dogs don't come back.

3. 24279102

Jul 10, 2010
    Grand Bay, AL
    Well, I am going to try it - it can't hurt . I think it is the taste that they don't like perhaps ??? Thanks so much . I hate to isolate her completely from them as it took almost 5 weeks or more to accept her the first time !!

4. 24279102

Jul 10, 2010
    Grand Bay, AL
    Well, the first night I put the Bluekote on everyone but really didn't get to see if it worked or not as it got very cold and windy here in Alabama and it was too cold for Phyllis to stay outside. She is in the garage now and protected from the elements. Is drinking some but not eating. She is moving around as I find her in a different spot every time I go in. Poor thing.

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Do you have any low-ranking/submissive hens that you can put in with her in the garage. Flock animals heal better and faster if they have a friend nearby to chat them up while they recover. Re-introductions will also go much smoother if you are not re-introducing just one bird.

As far as food goes- does she have any favorite treats? Scrambled eggs are usually a hit and will help her heal faster. Sunflower seeds, yogurt, bits of cooked meat from your table, anything rich in protein will aid in healing and are usually favored by ailing/injured birds.

Good luck with her. I hope she recovers.

6. 24279102

Jul 10, 2010
    Grand Bay, AL
    I only have four in total and the others are two RIR'S and a Barred Rock - all of which picked on her when she was well. She has a buffet of different types of food in front of her but she is not interested in anything - yet appears bright when I walk in the garage ! She just stays snuggled down in the straw bed. Her wounds still appear to be dry but the pooping while she is lying down has her bottom VERY messy and smelly !

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Yeah, when they can't roost it makes a mess of their backsides. A little bath might be in order if she gets too whiffy. Too bad about the other birds, but it happens. Poor Phyllis. Hopefully she'll start eating soon. It may take a while. As long as she is drinking she can hang on for a couple days without food.

8. 24279102

Jul 10, 2010
    Grand Bay, AL
    Sadly, she died sometime during the night. I knew that it was coming as I couldn't get her to drink. I guess she was too traumatized to fight it.

9. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    So sorry for your loss. If you know who owns the dogs that attacked her you are within your rights to collect compensation for her loss. Poor girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by