1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dog Attack

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Noncentzter, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Noncentzter

Noncentzter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Southern Oregon Coast
    We normally supervise our chickens when they are out, but for the last few months have not been as diligent and have gotten lax. Today I let them out a couple hours earlier than normal cuz it's been such rainy weather. I went back into the house, took off my boots and by the time I got to the kitchen we heard the chickens. My wife went running out and said that it was dogs. Turns out that dogs (weimaraners) from three blocks away had gotten out of their enclosure. They got the only Buckeye we had. I chased them in my socks, with other neighbors yelling at me to not hurt the dogs while I am carrying a thick walking stick that was a former branch. One of the neighbors came down to talk to me and told me where the dogs came from, but unfortunately the owners weren't home, but we called the county and they sent out Animal Control and they gave them a warning. We haven't heard anything yet from them and doubt that we will. I did tell animal control that if the dogs showed back up that they wouldn't leave...SSS!! Two other girls were missing, but did return home unscathed. This all happened around 1PM, but it's still affecting us.

2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    [​IMG]

I'm so sorry for your loss...

Why were the neighbors yelling not to hurt them? That chaps my you know what: when people think that their dog or cat is more precious to them than our chickens are to us because our chickens are "just chickens". Well I say your dog is just a dog and at least my pets make me breakfast!

[​IMG]

3. violetsky

violetsky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Huntsville, Alabama
    It's not the dog's fault but the neighbors. Mail them a very large bill for your expensive
    buckeye you were going to show. They really should of apologized and offered to buy
    you a new one.

4. Noncentzter

Noncentzter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Southern Oregon Coast
    BigDaddy'sGurl :

Why were the neighbors yelling not to hurt them?

The neighbors didn't know about the chicken attack and only saw me chasing the dogs with the big stick, but after hearing the reason for the chase were more understanding.

Violetsky, I agree, but we haven't heard from them yet. We're waiting to see what happens before we do anything...​

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by