dog attack

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by birdmaniac3000, Jun 1, 2011.

1. birdmaniac3000

birdmaniac3000 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    los angeles
    i just went to check on my 4 month old silkie chickens and i see my chihuahua with one of my silkies in her mouth playing with the dead bird like if it was a stuffed toy does any one know why she might have done it for fun or by accident by thinking she was playing with them and how to stop her fom doing it again.

2. herfrds

herfrds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Montana
    Once a chicken killer always a chicken killer.

Keep them seperate and a good fence.

3. edgroger

edgroger Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2011
    I suggest seperating the dog from the chickens. He may develop a habit of doing it for fun

4. klpenny

klpenny Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Start with basic obedience. Make sure your dog knows basic commands like leave it. Just because your dog is small does not mean that it is easy to train, on the contrary some small breeds are especially strong willed. If you haven't already PLEASE invest some time (and if you have to money) into making sure you are properly communicating your dog.

That being said. I have found that having an extra brain never hurt (shock collar). Eventhough all my dogs have been very well versed in obedience, still I realize that instinct will kick in and the dog will take off after a deer or groundhog and I need that extra long leash that connects directly to the brain. I have always properly introduced the shock collar to my dogs, I NEVER just threw it on and zapped them, that is extremely cruel and it could very well result in even more aggression. If done correctly and your dog knows exactly what you want, it will not take it long to not want to play with the electric chickens.

There is a rare hereditary syndrome in inbred dogs that results in dangerous agressive dogs that just go beserk and have to be destroyed - this does not seem to be the case with your dog, just your pet having "fun" with what it thinks is a really neat new squeaky toy. This is not an easy problem to solve and I guarantee it will require real time and effort and an output of funds on your part - but it is not one that cannot be overcome.

5. birdmaniac3000

birdmaniac3000 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    los angeles
    thanks guys for the responses i got this dog on january my other dog was raised with chicken she is a german shephard and has been trained she does not even turn to look at my birds she actualy ignores them like if there not there my chihuahua is now going to go to a training class and i am showing her not to get near my birds she tried the same thing today but i corrected her behavior doing a few thing i have seen on the dog whisperer and she responds to them she knows a few commands but she only like and listens to me only she doesn't like any of my other family members i am the only one she allows to touch or pick her up .

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I'm so sorry for your bird. How do you all think we can better get the word out that dogs with unknown traits should not have access to birds? There is one heartbreaking story after another - countless attacks, suffering and deaths reported on BYC and that is only the tip of the iceberg unfortunately. If anybody has any ideas how to have this knowledge become mainstream please let's do it so that much heartache and suffering can be avoided.

(OP, I would not trust that dog around the birds ever again but that's just my opinion, as I tend to err on the side of caution.......)

JJ

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  7. WillieBoy

WillieBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    I would have taken the dead chicken, tied it around the dogs neck, and left it their until the dog totally freaked...You must send your pouchie a strong message, or it will never learn or understand..If its an in the house dog at nite, oh well,it will learn a double lesson..Kill the chicken and i have to stay outside all the time, plus have this stinky dead chicken tied around my neck..! If your dog doesn't get it after this, well.....thats one dumbass dog, that will prove it by killing your birds again...!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by