dog attack!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Shawna89, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Shawna89

Shawna89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    Stamping Ground, Ky
    a friend of mine had a barred rock hen who was attacked by a dog. so I am trying to heal her up!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have the injuries cleaned up, and hopefully everything heals good. I'm not sure what to do about the foot being swollen.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Flush the wounds with 50/50 betadine/water solution. Pack the wound with neosporin without pain reliever. Dont bandage her. Continue with the neosprin til she heals. Provide her with scrambled egg mixed with buttermilk to eat for about 5 days. Keep her calm and quiet as possible inside a cage or crate, inside with A/C. Get the wounds healed first before you treat the bumblefoot. She doesnt need any added stress at this time. In the meantime, I suggest you type "bumblefoot" in the BYC search box and read how to conduct minor surgery on it.

3. Shawna89

Feb 3, 2011
    Stamping Ground, Ky
    Okay, didnt know what was wrong with her foot! I didnt know if it was swollen from the dog tooth or what.
    She inside and her head is healing well, in the back room with the door shut.

4. dawj

dawj Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Central NH
    also if you have her near other chickens a little dab of vicks around the outside of the wound (like a 1/4 inch around it )and down her neck will keep others from pecking her. Remeber their skin is a brownish green so don't panic and thinks its infected tripple antibotic ointment is awesome stuff [​IMG] My girl had a deep gash in her head and neck from a dog lingering around also she is about 98% healed. Funny thing is they seem to heal just as fast as they grow. I also fed her alot of fruits during healing to extra vitamins and to keep her hydrated (watermelon). Just my thoughts good luck to her on healing [​IMG]

5. Shawna89

Feb 3, 2011
    Stamping Ground, Ky
    Shes doing great so far, been staying inside in a nice cage alone.

6. dawj

dawj Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Central NH
    great to hear [​IMG] I made sure to put ointment on 3 times a day until at was 80% healed. then i did it once a day til it was almost no longer wound looking

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by