Dog attack!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kimh, Oct 13, 2011.

1. kimh

kimh Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2008
    Kent Island, MD
    Ugh - one of my foster dogs slippped past me at the back door and got hold of one of my chickens - older about 4 years old Buff Orpington. There is a puncture wound on her back -broke the skin but there must be something else wrong. She can move her legs to itch her head but she cant stand or even sit straight- she wobbles to one side. No distressed breathing - comb color is good - she tries to move but falls forward. The dachshund bit her about an inch below the neck on her back - i'm thinking her back might be broken. Any suggestions on what to do if it is? of courese everyone in my house is out of town and I don't think I can cull without some serious counseling afterwards - these are my pets. [​IMG]

2. chicktwins

chicktwins Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I would think if she can move her legs her back isn't broken. Maybe she is just in shock and is too scared to stand right now. I would clean her up as much as possible and apply some neosporin to the puncture. Keep her isolated in a darkened room but nearby so you can frequently check on her. Make sure she has access to food and water. Poor thing.

3. kimh

kimh Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2008
    Kent Island, MD
    Thanks -- she's in crate in the garage -- she tries to stand and her legs get stiff and she acts like shes walking and trying to get away but just falls forward and then to her side and she just lies there and can't position herself upright again. Of course I'm going out of town tomorrow and i guarantee you this is not what the pet sitter is expecting.

4. kimh

kimh Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2008
    Kent Island, MD
    she's still just sitting in her crate - legs kind of underneath her and still cant stand or sit up on her own - I have a towel that helps her and she can reach food and water but shes not eating or drinking much - -she coos when I walk in there and looks totally fine except she doesn't move. I probably need to put her down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by