dog attack

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Alabama ee, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    I had a neighbor's dog break into the covered run last Sat, and kill about half my flock. Of the remaining 7, one has a broken toe,
    one has all her tail feathers ripped out. Most of the others had minor injuries(as far as I can tell). 2 had none. This has been very upsetting to say the least.

Anyway, all have stopped laying eggs except one. Most are young chickens that just started laying. Do any of you know how long it will take before they start laying again?

2. Kiki A

Kiki A Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    SC
    One of my girls were attacked by my dog on the first day of school. They hadn't started to lay yet, but a couple weeks ago a raccoon killed one of my girls. They stopped laying for several weeks. You should also bring the live ones to a vet to make sure they don't have deadly injuries. Most vets take chickens in. They hopefully will start laying again in a couple of weeks.You also may want to get some new chicks to replace your flock. I hope this helps a little. I'm sorry for your loss of hens.:(

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  3. K-12 Chickens

K-12 Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan
    I once had an immature Red-Tailed Hawk take one of my hens and sometimes the others will be a little traumatized for a while and may stop laying. After a while they'll calm down and begin laying again.

4. audrey02026

audrey02026 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Dedham, Ma
    My Dogs got to my chickens and killed two and pulled out the feathers of another I found her hiding in the grass. I picked her up cleaned her up and put her back in the coop. She didn't lay for maybe 3 weeks. I had another that the same thing happened two and she was laying the next day. Depends on the hen I guess.

5. Alabama ee

Feb 18, 2010
    Thanks Kiki

6. Alabama ee

Feb 18, 2010
    Thanks Audrey. I will just hang in there.

7. Kiki A

Kiki A Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    SC
    I just hope that it helps.

8. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    We've had 2 dog attacks, losing only 1 hen the first time, nothing the second. They never stopped laying. Got lucky.

9. Alabama ee

Feb 18, 2010
    They seem to be doing better now. THere is one more that starting laying. So now I have 2 out of seven. Maybe the rest will start in the next week or so.

10. K-12 Chickens

K-12 Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan

Glad to hear it! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by