Dog attack

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chichichickapea, Dec 5, 2012.

1. chichichickapea

chichichickapea Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2012
    I've lost 1 white guinea, 1 Cream Legbar rooster and 1 Blue English Orpington pullet this week to a dog attack..........my head rooster we found this afternoon, Lightning.........just protecting his girls while they all free ranged......guess that is the end of free ranging for a while. I am so angry, devastated, disappointed. I feel like I let them down....it was our family dog. We have been doing this for months (since July) and had an attack on one by the other dog, no problems since until last Saturday.

2. Ullie

Ullie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss.

What is the lesson here.......the last bit of your post is a little confusing. Was it your dog attack on the other dog?? not sure what you mean.

3. patty12

patty12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    any dog will chase chickens , chicken runs, squakes an it is a lot of fun after one kill they will do it again because they have the taste of blood now. that is my opinion.
    we have had dogs in the past that didn't kill our chickens but these were farm breed dog. I have maintained for years a dog raised on the farm with his breed line going back thro' farm dogs will be better around farm animals than dogs that were raised in town from dogs that were raised in town.
    these may not seem right to you but i have come to this opinion over time have farm dogs and city dogs both ,

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Sounds like it's time to work on training your dog. Any dog - farm dog or not - will chase chickens because it's fun. A theory on farm dogs being better around livestock: Could it be that way because most farm dogs are out and about with their masters and constantly being trained? It may not be a formal training, but it's training none the less. They get into something and are are immediately corrected because someone is right there working with them. City dogs, as a rule are inside, or kenneled or maybe in a fenced in yard while their owners are at work all day and get let out when someone comes home. Then they go out and there are the chickens. Dog has been locked up and bored all day, and voila! There are chickens to chase. Something fun to do! I don't know - this just seems to make sense to me. I know it's not quite that cut and dried, but I do think that could be part of it.

5. TimBaumann

TimBaumann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Namibia
    That sucks! My dog also killed my chicken! My first 4 chicken were all killed by him! I don't bother trying to train him because he's a husky x border collie and he is much more husky! I put up a DIY electric fence and he's kept away from it ever since he got shocked once!

6. chichichickapea

Apr 18, 2012
    My dogs are country dogs....they are not and have never been penned....but their breed is a hunting dog...beagle and german shorthair pointer.

I bought training collars yesterday.

7. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Good luck with the training.Me, I don't trust my dogs especially my horse sized pup. I control them otherwise I know they will get in the chicken spot and kill a few.

8. chichichickapea

Apr 18, 2012
    you've got a point.....

9. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Lose the dog. Unless you can find a way to train him out of his habit, then he will just keep killing, over and over and over again. Take it from someone who knows this is true. We started with a flock of 50 and we are reduced to 19 chickens, all because the family dog killed them again and again and again!

10. patvetzal

patvetzal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Bancroft, Ontario
    I'd hate to be living anywhere close to a dog of that size that was not trained!! Are there any kids in your area?
    We have a golden retriever and free range chickens. No problems since we got the e-collar 18 months ago....(well, now and then one of the RIRs will put the run on him if they feel he is in the way)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by