Dog Attack!

Olivia MJ

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 15, 2012
I have a 5 month old Bantam rooster who was pinned down by a dog two days ago. There were lots of feathers (including foot feather chunks) but no signs of blood anywhere. I've inspected him the best I could but the little guy still has trouble walking- he is very wobbly and can only stand. He just sort of keels over when he tries to walk.
Does anyone have any suggestions for my situation, as well as advice in checking for broken feet/legs? I'm not totally sure what I'm looking for. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Its sounds to me like he's in shock. Put him in a dark room/dog carrier, with a heat lamp, and plenty of food and water, and just let him rest.
Also put some arnica in his water. It helps with stress.

Thank you for responding! I'll put him in a room in the house where he can be alone. The attack was two days ago, I'm not sure how long shock symptoms last for but I'll do my best.

He may have internal injuries that you aren't aware of. I don't know what arnica is but I would give him a couple drops maybe 2 x a day of Polyvisol pediatric drops(NO iron) when he is conscious enough to swallow.

My dogs attacked my rooster a few weeks back (both were where they weren't supposed to be!). Anyway, he was in severe shock, and like you lost a lot of feathers, but no blood really. I washed him off, put him in a dog crate with a heat lamp with food and water and fully expected to bury him the next day. Well, he was up and about the next day, put him in the coop, and he staying perched for several days but now he is totally himself and doing his rooster thing again, and his feathers are growing back. I can't believe how resilient they are! Just watch that the girls don't peck his injuries...I had to isolate some of mine. I think they actually enjoyed seeing HIM with a bald back for a change!
lau.gif
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom