Dog attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by silverback, Jan 23, 2013.

1. silverback

silverback Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2010
    Saturday a dog broke into my large wooded run and grabbed one of my hens. I chased him and he dropped her and she lost a fair few feathers on her back toward her tail but seemed to bounce back. She has laid eggs each day since then (she is the only one laying right now) and seemed to be perky and OK. Today is Tuesday and I found her this morning standing in her nest box looking dismal - all puffed up, eyes barely open. I am very concerned. Do you think she might have internal bleeding? Infection? Help please! If she doesn't look better in a couple of hours I will bring her inside (I can rig up a chicken hospital in the guest bath) but don't know what to do. All advice appreciated. Thank you!

2. rockthecoop

rockthecoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2013
    Hi, I have had a similar problem, about a month ago our chicken was attacked by a dog. The best thing to do is to put her inside that way she Will be warm. Give her food and water, if she is not drinking dip your finger in the water and put the drop on her beak. It should run down to the tip, then she should smack her beak and drink it. If that does not work gently push her head down that way her beak goes in the water for a few seconds. That should work. If she is not eating crush up some of her food. Our chicken Sam loved to eat scraps like carrot peelings and tiny tomatoes. Try feeding her some scraps if she does not eat. If I were you I would definitely bring her in the house that way she would be warm. You can put her in the tub like you mentioned or in some type of crate. I hoped I helped! Please keep me posted!!!

[​IMG]

3. silverback

Oct 18, 2010
    I just checked on her and she just laid an egg with a paper thin shell. So I am wondering if this could be the problem - that it was very difficult for her to get out? She still looks sad and sick standing in her nest. I gave her some oatmeal and yogurt and she is nibbling. Hoping that the egg was the problem and not the dog attack. I have had chickens for 2-1/2 years now and the two attacks we have experienced have been from domestic dogs even though we have coyotes, hawks, eagles, raccoons etc. in the area. Pretty annoying.

4. rockthecoop

Jan 17, 2013
    The same thing happened to our chicken Sam, she laid an egg exactly like that.

5. rockthecoop

Jan 17, 2013
    Most likely the reason she laid it like that was probably because of stress.

6. silverback

Oct 18, 2010
    She is not improving - getting weaker. I brought her in and offered watermelon for liquid, scrambled egg, oatmeal, yogurt....she won't eat anything.

Her breathing is heavy and labored now. Is this the end? Anything I can do?

S.

7. CottonGinWaste

CottonGinWaste Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2012
    Mobile, AL
    Keep her confined, quiet (towel over cage or dog crate), warm. Water is most important. You can tube her (vets have small catheters, and incredibly the proximal portion of a human catheter is exactly sized for a standard chicken). If its internal bleeding . . . . but if its infection, you can give 0.1 cc Penicillin G IM in the breast once a day for 3 days. Penicillin and syringes available at your feed store. Electrolytes in the water, yogurt/cheese crumbles to balance out the abx. Add egg yolk to the water if you tube her. Luck.

8. silverback

Oct 18, 2010
    She died last night. I just buried her. Very very sad. She was a wonderful hen. She laid the biggest most beautiful eggs. Always jumbo size. One of her "sisters" is roaming around calling for her. Very sad day around here. Thank you for your good advice. It was just too late for her.

9. Jakenhoss

Jakenhoss Chillin' With My Peeps

So sorry to hear about your hen. I know from experience it is VERY upsetting to loose your pet. I have lost 4 now and all to unknown causes. Well one of them had heart failure but the others I don't know why. My heart goes out to you. [​IMG]

10. rockthecoop

Jan 17, 2013
    [​IMG]Sorry...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by