Dog attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Buffnoob, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Buffnoob

Buffnoob New Egg

Aug 7, 2014
    Hello everyone, I was hoping I could get some advice on first aid for Clucky my buff. She was attacked 3 days ago by a small dog and I've been doing the best I can minus taking her to a vet for a horrendously large bill. That flap of skin you see there is on her rear right side and it's close to 2"x2" in size. I ended up cutting it off after I realized it had become necrotic and I saw baby maggots crawling in it. My regimen now is a 5 minute bath in warm water mixed with clorihexaderm, application of blu kote, cephalexin antibiotic mixed with her food and quarantine in a cardboard box inside the house that is cleaned daily. She's not 100% but she is still very active and strong. She is missing a large piece of skin and I'm worried maggots may come back. Any advice will be appreciated.
    -Jake

[​IMG]

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    I would use Vetericyn Spray on that wound...it is remarkable for healing wounds that severe. Poor thing...I wish you all the best!

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You seem to be doing a good job so far. Continue keeping the wound clean and checking for maggots, and she should eventually be fine. Chickens have recovered from much worse injuries before. [​IMG]

Good luck with her!

4. Buffnoob

Buffnoob New Egg

Aug 7, 2014
    Thanks for the advice and the well wishes. I think she will make a full recovery and it couldn't be any sooner. Her sister misses her which means she lets everyone know she is lonely. Been keeping the injured one in the house and now it's just a waiting game for the skin to regenerate so she doesn't get any infections.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by