5 Years
Nov 5, 2014
My dog bit one of my chickens around the neck and head area. The chicken
Is walking around fine now, but has lost some feathers from her
Neck. But she has also lost the comb from her head. Someone told me
She can't live with out this. Is it true?:/:/:/

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So sorry about the dog attack. Yes, they can live without a comb. Combs help to keep the bird cool in the summer time. Combs are wonderful indicators of health however they serve no purpose in keeping the bird alive. Give her a really good overall exam to make sure she is not hurt anywhere else.

Watch her closely and be ready with antibiotics in case she turns up with an infection. Some Penicillin or Baytril will help with any complications.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X2 on Two Crows.

Sorry about the attack!
hugs.gif
Combs are body heat generators. They help keep the chicken warm in winter and cool in summer.

Is she walking, breathing and eating normally?

Good luck!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So sorry about the dog attack. Yes, they can live without a comb. Combs help to keep the bird cool in the summer time. Combs are wonderful indicators of health however they serve no purpose in keeping the bird alive. Give her a really good overall exam to make sure she is not hurt anywhere else.

Watch her closely and be ready with antibiotics in case she turns up with an infection. Some Penicillin or Baytril will help with any complications.
X2. She should be fine as long as it doesn't get infected and is able to heal up.

Combs do not generate body heat, they disperse it as TwoCrows mentioned. Nice to have a comb but they can certainly live just fine without one.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us.

So sorry about the injury and wish her a speedy recovery.

Sure you have already thought of this…but just want to be sure you change whatever gave your dog access to the chickens.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

I'm sorry about your bird! She should be fine, as long as she doesn't get any infection. Good luck with her!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. As the other members have said, chickens can live without the combs. More importantly than the loss of the comb is making sure that your dog cannot ever attack any of your chickens again. As many BYC members will tell you (some to their own sorrow), dogs and chickens do not generally mix well. My new members have express shock and horror when their seemingly benign dog suddenly and unexpectedly chased and killed their chickens. Once a dog has done this, it is next to impossible to break them from doing it again. You need to make sure that either your chickens are in a predator proof coop/run, or else that your dog is in an escape proof fence. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock (and your dog).

Your poor hen , at least she survived - usually dog + chickens = dead chickens Please don't let your dog have a second opportunity

Back
Top Bottom