Dog Attack

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lauramurdock, Dec 29, 2014.

1. lauramurdock

lauramurdock New Egg

Dec 29, 2014
    Alvin, Tx
    Hello - A dog broke in to our duck pen on Saturday afternoon and killed 6 of our 9 ducks. (we dont know whose dog it was, if any ones) The remaining 3 are injured. I have gathered information on caring for them from other post. The only thing I dont know is, can a Peking duck learn to walk on one foot? My female is injured on her sides, and her left foot she just stretches out behind her. Shes been living in my bath tub because she has the most sever injuries. They are all eating and drinking. I just did not know if she would attempt to walk on one foot once she got better, or if her weight was too much.

I saw where other ducks learned to walk on one foot & then I realized they were all much smaller breeds. Any advice/suggestions appreciated.

2. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Can she use her foot at all? Have you given her a swim in the bathtub to see if she can even use it to swim with. I'm sure they can learn to live without it but she will be a special duck and may not do too well outside. I'm sorry this happened. Bath time should really help her a lot.

1 person likes this.
  3. lauramurdock

lauramurdock New Egg

Dec 29, 2014
    Alvin, Tx
    I dont think she can. When I move it, she applies no pressure what so ever. I will try to let her swim later. She has basically been in the bath tub in the same spot since the attack.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Most likely still in shock, so when you put her in nice warm water don't make it to deep right off just enough for her to float in, and Stay with her you never want to leave an inured duck in water alone. Could the leg be broken or pulled out of the socket? also fortify your pen and coop , and be ready because most likely if this dog got in 1X it will get in again, so very sorry for your losses.Please keep us updated

1 person likes this.
  5. lauramurdock

lauramurdock New Egg

Dec 29, 2014
    Alvin, Tx
    Do you agree that she probably will not be able to walk on one leg?

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hard to say we can't see it or examine it, put her in water deep enough to float and see if she uses the leg at all. It could be dislocated or broken or just a pulled muscle but when you examined her did you feel the leg from top to bottom? can you bend it in normal position? Does she seem in pain when you move it? Is it swollen or red an inflamed [hot to touch] any where on the leg? a heavy breed duck will most likely not be able to walk on one leg. But don't give up on her yet.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  7. lauramurdock

lauramurdock New Egg

Dec 29, 2014
    Alvin, Tx
    Okay, I felt her leg. It's not hot, she only makes a sound like she is in pain when I get close to the bite. I filled the tub up and she was very happy, she moved around on one foot but she never moved the other foot. It stayed extended out behind her.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You might have to get someone to hold her then extend the hurt leg and her good one just to see if the hurt one is longer. it maybe out of socket [dislocated] you maybe able to tell just by feeling where her leg attaches to her body. if it is dislocated you might be able to put it back in. it could just be a pulled muscle too. So very hard to say since none of us are vets and we can't be there to even look at her leg. When you examined her leg did it look like her feet and leg was in the right position like normal?Other than what your doing keep her calm and quiet keep close watch on her wounds. Keep doing water therapy daily with her 2X a day if you can make sure it's warm water so it will relax her muscle. This will take weight off her legs and if it's just a pulled muscle using it in the water will help. Hopefully it is just a pulled muscle from trying to get away from the dog. And you'll begin to see her moving the leg some as the days go by. If you can get her some poultry vitamins with electrolytes TSC has them. put them in her water this will help support her immune system while she is recuperating.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. lauramurdock

lauramurdock New Egg

Dec 29, 2014
    Alvin, Tx
    Thank you so much I will keep you updated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by