dog attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dwlacy, Dec 30, 2014.

1. dwlacy

dwlacy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2014
    one of my roos got attacked by a dog. only damage I can find is a ripped comb. the back third of it it turning purple black, but the wound does not appear to serious. my concern is that the roo has trouble standing or walking, like his balance is off. he is not eating or drinking since the attack which happened about 24 hrs ago. I kept him in the house overnight & have now put him back with the hens. he is trying to eat, but stops about an inch short of getting the food. not sure what the problem is or what to do at this point. any suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Any redness or swelling anywhere? The way a dog usually grabs a chicken I'd check the neck area extra carefully, there might be some internal injuries even though you don't see blood.

3. dwlacy

Dec 30, 2014
    no redness or swelling anywhere....this is the third time I had a chicken come thru a dog attack.....I lost one & was able to pull one thru that was in pretty bad shape

4. dwlacy

Dec 30, 2014
    [​IMG]

5. dwlacy

Dec 30, 2014
    [​IMG]

6. GhettoRoo

GhettoRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2014
    Did you sepereate them or roo get away by his own?

7. dwlacy

Dec 30, 2014
    grandson separated them.....am now able to get him to eat by opening his mouth and placing a food pellet in his mouth and he will swallow it.....question is, how much do I feed him at time? still will not drink, even when I stick his beak in water.

8. GhettoRoo

GhettoRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2014
    Im curious about if he is shocked or no. He is eating and interested on doing anything by his own? If no, put him just in calm warm place, mby even in dark. Give vitamins ofcourse + electrolyte.

9. dwlacy

Dec 30, 2014
    I would think that shock would wear off after 24 hours.....no he has no interest in doing anything, just stands or sits on his belly in one spot.....when he did try to eat, he pecked at the food, but stopped about an inch or so short before where he would have connected with the food pellet, like his sense of depth perception was off

my main concern is that he my have suffered some sort of brain trauma & that is what is causing his loss of balance & depth perception....if that's the case, will it heal? or will he just have to adjust to it?

I can get him to eat by putting food pellets in his mouth & have been using an eyedropper to give him electrolyte to drink

10. dwlacy

Dec 30, 2014
    update.....all appears to be back to normal with my roo.....he is eating & drinking on his own now......will keep him in the house one more night & then let him spend a few days in the pen with the hens before letting him run the yard with the other 3 roos

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by