Dog attacked and killed more chickens.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by farmgirl1995, Dec 7, 2010.

1. farmgirl1995

farmgirl1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Georgia:)
    This has been an ongoing problem for a while and I've done everything I've been told to but the dog just won't stop and this time she went after my favorite hen. Margarita lived but tons of feathers on her back are gone and so are some on the side of her neck and by her crop. Luckily, my brothers stupid dog didn't bite her too hard. There were no puncture wounds. Only a little bit of blood from where some skin tore. This happened about a week ago and since its freezing outside and my roosters are "active" i dont want her to freeze or the boys to tear her skin up. I have a crate for an extra large dog at my house...should I keep her in there? I'll have time to take her out for like an hour a day when I come home from school. I really don't want her out there. This dog thing had got to stop. She harasses all my animals. We had to give away one of my dogs because she kept biting her. She goes after my Mini Schnauzer. She goes after my cats(one of which is pregnant). My chickens can no longer free range. This is THEIR home and I don't want her here any longer. I'm really really sick of this. I'd gladly call animal control but I don't know how that stuff works. Plus my dad would want to kill me. Anyways. Something needs to be done. My poor little 'Rita Bear:(

..........Anybody want a germam shepherd????

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Oh gosh, i'm so sorry! Is there any way you can talk to your dad about rehoming the dog? It's not safe keeping a dog that bites, as they may end up biting you. On your hen, yes, do get her into a crate and into a warm place. Clean up the wounds as best you can with saline solution or diluted iodine. If the wounds aren't deep you can put neosporin on them. Or if you have Blu-Kote, that's a good antibiotic and wound dressing.

i'm so sorry! Hope your hen gets better soon.

3. farmgirl1995

Sep 8, 2010
    Thank you so much! I've tried and tried to get my dad to get rid of her but he won't do it. She's so destructive to EVERYTHING. She refuses to be potty trained shes just stupid. I don't like her at all. Where can you get that Blu-Kote stuff? I put some neosporin on her. Thanks so much for the advice:)

4. Kasia

Kasia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    New Orleans
    I'm sorry about your hen. [​IMG] I know how frustrating a dog can be when it goes after your babies. And I know how hard a parent can be. I am one and my kids are 17 and 13.

You can definitely keep your hen in a large crate so that she heals. Could the dog be separated from the chickens somehow?

5. farmgirl1995

Sep 8, 2010
    Thank you. We were leaving her on the porch so she couldn't get out during the day but I don't feel thats fair to her. Plus she goes number two all over the porch. I don't know what else to do with her.

6. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:I am in the exact same position as you! My family has a dog that is constantly stalking my birds, you can't let him outside without keeping a constant eye on him around the birds. Nobody understands or even respects my love for my chickens and how much it hurts me when he kills them, all they see is a cute little dog who wouldnt hurt a fly! He figured out how to get into the coop and now my birds arent even safe in their own home! [​IMG]

7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I wish I had some helpful advice for you. It sounds like the wrong dog got re-homed if this is the one doing all the attacking! If you don't have any support from your family in regards to this dog then the only option you have is to keep your chickens penned. Sorry you are having this problem, that would drive me crazy to have a dog on the place like that and nobody wants to do anything about it.

8. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Unfortunately, when there is an animal in the house that attacks all the other animals, there are only 3 solutions:

1) Find a more suitable home for the one that is doing all the attacking (most logical and practical solution).

2) Rehome all the rest of the animals so that the offending dog is the only animal left in the house (at which point it only becomes a matter of time before he turns on humans if he doesn't have an animal to take it out on -- just so you know).

3) Get rid of ALL the animals and don't get anymore (not a very palatable solution to most).

I cannot think of any other viable solutions if you cannot get the dog to stop attacking all the other animals in its vicinity.

9. farmgirl1995

Sep 8, 2010
    Quote:I am in the exact same position as you! My family has a dog that is constantly stalking my birds, you can't let him outside without keeping a constant eye on him around the birds. Nobody understands or even respects my love for my chickens and how much it hurts me when he kills them, all they see is a cute little dog who wouldnt hurt a fly! He figured out how to get into the coop and now my birds arent even safe in their own home! [​IMG]

I know exactly how you feel. Familys are just sucky sometimes:/ stupid dogs!

10. susancarol

susancarol New Egg

Dec 7, 2010
    Not to worry. here is a solution. My brother has a dog and kept going after and killing chickens. I thought it was hopeless too. . Now she is scared to death of them. Here is what you do. You get your meanest toughest rooster or borrow one. You hold the rooster up high and let the rooster attack the dog right in the face. So now the rooster is huge and it sticks in the dogs mind that they are now large animals. I had to do this over several weeks and the dog was terrorized. She won't touch them now. I never thought that this could work, but I had to do something. Now the chickens run right in front of her and she runs the other way. Oddly enought, I did not even need a shock collar. She has no touched a chicken in 7 years.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by