Dog attacked Baby Sitter

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Frosty, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I am attaching two links here to a story that started last November. First, please let me say that I am not against pit bull type dogs. That being said, I would also like to say that breeds like this need owners who know how to properly raise and socialize them. The owners in this story don't sound qualified to have any dogs, and I am not sure that they should have children, either.

http://www.minotdailynews.com/page/...tack-victim-remains-in-hospital.html?nav=5010
    http://www.minotdailynews.com/page/content.detail/id/551071.html

A few points in this story that strike me as odd... the victim was there to babysit the dog owners child. But the dogs were closed in a room with the child that she was supposed to be babysitting, and she was told to not open the door. Does this make any sense at all? Babysit my child but you can't see her or do anything to take care of her? Really?

Then there was a town meeting because the dog owners have another dog that is the same type as the dogs that attacked, but now they want to call it a 'service dog' for their daughter. And the dog owner said that the victim is 'alive and well' (I guess never mind that she is still facing more skin grafts and reconstructive surgery).

It's people like this that give those types of dog a bad reputation. Irresponsible with not only the dogs, but with their child as well. (Would you leave your child in the care of another person, but have that person not be able to take care of your child without getting mauled - in front of the child?) This story just bothers me on so many levels...

Edited to change the title...

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Holy Molly!!!!!

You are so right. The woman is callous, and apparently clueless as to how unsafe the dog is. The dog should be put down and this woman should never own another animal. I was not aware of any of this before reading the article.

3. Frosty

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I changed the title... thank you for the reply justbugged. The whole situation is just wrong.

4. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Your right. You had mentioned that no one had commented on the thread, I know that I must have miss the thread all together. The woman that was attacked certainly didn't deserve to be treated as she has been by the dogs owner.

5. okiron

okiron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    As weird and unreasonable the request what, when told not to go in the room, why the heck would she go in the room? She should've either told the mother before she left to move the dogs, at least got ready for Armageddon when opening the door or got someone to help her. I'm not saying she deserved to get hurt but she could've done something rather than waltz into a room she was told not to go into.

6. Frosty

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Quote:I wasn't there, so can't say but a few thoughts in my head, maybe the child was crying or screamed? And what if she didn't open the door, but the child did?

7. okiron

okiron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Quote:I wasn't there, so can't say but a few thoughts in my head, maybe the child was crying or screamed? And what if she didn't open the door, but the child did?

You would think though, the minute you heard something like "watch my child but you can't go into her room where she is behind a closed door because I have 2 dogs in there" you would be saying remove the dogs or I'm leaving. Especially since the article says the city ordinance behind pitbulls is due to these dogs.

I wish the article went into depth more.

8. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Oh wow. THe story does sound a bit off. The owner sounds like they never should of had dogs in the first place

When asked about her cat, Anna Heppler said she "booted it out" because it was a stray anyway.
    I would like to boot her out.

THis article says the child screamed which is why she went into there.

http://www.kxnet.com/getArticle.asp?ArticleId=670982

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2011
  9. Frosty

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I missed that part of the story... I do have to agree that I would never take responsibility for somebodies child if I couldn't have access to the child, but I also would never expect somebody to be responsible for my child in that situation either.

10. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Shouldn't have dogs or babies, I suppose. Nothing to do with breed, everything to do with training. Grr. People like this make me have to be extra-vigilant about my training with my girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by