1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dog attacked chick don't know what to do

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Loudawg11, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Loudawg11

Loudawg11 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2017
    Andover MA
    My Coop
    Hey there everyone. This afternoon I was walking my dog and came home and unhooked him from his leash to go inside. But instead of going inside he bolted faster then you could say "DEXTER!!!" He ran right to my chicks which happened to be outside with my son watching them. One was taking a dust bath when he ran out and was the unfortunate one to be attacked. My dog grabbed its leg and tried to pin it to the ground but luckily my son grabbed his collar and yanked him away before he could really dig in. The chick looked fine at first but after 15-20 it's leg began to bleed and we had to wrap it in a paper towel and put it in a cardboard box. It's 7 weeks old and is limping around the box right now (not with a paper towel and not bleeding) trying to get comfortable. I'm not sure what to do and would love some help. Any feedback about what to do with its leg is greatly appreciated!!!

Attached Files:

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    So sorry about your chicks injury, good news being it was a scary experience but did not do serious damage. Keep the wound clean, free of flies, monitor for infection and provide supportive care to address shock...warm, quiet, hydrated

3. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Yup, good advice graymare.
    just give the chick a couple days of rest and do graymare said it should be fine .Karen

Loudawg11 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by