Dog attacked chickens help with injuries.

Danny188

Songster
Jul 22, 2019
Iowa
I explained what happend in another thread but I need help with the injures now. They were rinsed with hydrogen peroxide and then we put neosporin on the wounds. The first RIR pic has a hole going into its chest cavity if I pick it up I can hear the ir coming out, I think she is going to die soon from infection becuse she might suck something into her chest. No lung punctures or it would be gurgling or she would cough up blood I assume. Both rir are walking one buff orpington is walking I'm guessing the other will past soon its laying on its side same injuries on the back as the other two then most minor is the rir with its vent partially torn it's fat
behind it not torn to any muscle I don't think.

Edit: each picture is a diffrent bird btw.

Attachments

• 20200606_183042.jpg
    20200606_183042.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 20200606_183207.jpg
    20200606_183207.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200606_183247.jpg
    20200606_183247.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200606_183122.jpg
    20200606_183122.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 11
Can I buy a sucher kit and stitch some of them up allite? Anyone have any experience with that? Was going to ask a vet for cost but wont answer the phone.

This is the one laying down it looks like it has the least injuries of them all but it might have some broken ribs or somthing. The one with the vent is more sever than I thought it has the top lip of the vent hanging off.

Attachments

• 20200606_185443.jpg
    20200606_185443.jpg
    398.9 KB · Views: 7
I had the exact same thing happen to me; the hens' wounds looked about that severity. I ended up bringing them to the vet (3 of them, but one had to be put down). The two recovered very nicely after some weeks of care. The vet cleaned up the wounds initially, gave me oral antibiotics to syringe feed them, a solution to flush the wounds with and cream to rub on the less deep wounds. I believe they also put the two chickens on IVs at one point, probably for fluids. I don't remember the vet stitching anything- I'm pretty sure they were left open the whole time until they healed. I have no experience with self-stitching, sorry! The vet bill was somewhere near $1000 for them all, but the chickens were my beloved pets so took the financial hit. Your birds look like they all could recover well. Good luck!

I had the exact same thing happen to me; the hens' wounds looked about that severity. I ended up bringing them to the vet (3 of them, but one had to be put down). The two recovered very nicely after some weeks of care. The vet cleaned up the wounds initially, gave me oral antibiotics to syringe feed them, a solution to flush the wounds with and cream to rub on the less deep wounds. I believe they also put the two chickens on IVs at one point, probably for fluids. I don't remember the vet stitching anything- I'm pretty sure they were left open the whole time until they healed. I have no experience with self-stitching, sorry! The vet bill was somewhere near $1000 for them all, but the chickens were my beloved pets so took the financial hit. Your birds look like they all could recover well. Good luck!

Wow I'm definitely not taking them to the vet anymore I'll have to do with what I have.

I would still call up and ask your vet, because yours could be far cheaper. If you skipped the IVs, etc. and just got the antibiotics or flushing solution, it could save your chickens! (or just bring the one with the deep wound).

I would still call up and ask your vet, because yours could be far cheaper. If you skipped the IVs, etc. and just got the antibiotics or flushing solution, it could save your chickens! (or just bring the one with the deep wound).
Ok I will definitely still call him up to ask about it

Wow I'm definitely not taking them to the vet anymore I'll have to do with what I have.
maybe research some ointment and solution to clean out the wounds like sydney said the vet did and you may be able to buy it and do it yourself. just make sure they are drinking plenty of fluids.

maybe research some ointment and solution to clean out the wounds like sydney said the vet did and you may be able to buy it and do it yourself. just make sure they are drinking plenty of fluids.
My mom called the vet and got something to put in their water it's some anti infection powder it was only 11$.

Back
Top Bottom