Dog Attacked Cochin: Two-Week Update

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aghiowa, Dec 31, 2012.

1. aghiowa

aghiowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2010
    Hi all! Almost two weeks ago, a neighborhood husky got in my yard and attacked my show cochin. This is what she looked like the day after - raw, torn up flesh, deep punctures etc.

[​IMG]

And this is after 13 days, and many cleaning sessions, and a round of penicillin (started 3 days ago):

[​IMG]
    Her feathers are coming in quickly and the punctures are just about healed. The gash will probably not close perfectly at this point without sutures, but it's much better, and will not hamper movement or probably much feather growth. The raw skinless part right above her vent is coming along nicely (and would be better if she wouldn't peck straight for it every time I uncover it - gah!). I'm pretty amazed at the speed of her recovery, and have to say that the penicillin really was the most important thing, I think. She is so much more perky (and feisty) now.

I still have to keep her in a makeshift cape though, or she goes straight to doing this:

[​IMG]

I imagine it's itchy.

Anyway, I have learned so much through this process, and still have much more to learn, I'm sure. Thanks for all the great advice, and I will continue to post updates until I've got her back with the flock. :)

Happy New Year, all!
    Angela

2. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    What a wonderful positive post to start the new year with! Happy New Year to you and I hope your sweet girl continues her wonderful recovery.[​IMG]

3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    It looks really good. I hope she continues to improve. Happy New Year.

4. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    It looks good, keep an eye on it. Happy new year!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by