Dog attacked, had to butcher, question about eating

lindseykaye05

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 20, 2011
This afternoon I found that one of my *sweet* dogs managed to chase down one of my hens and bite her in her thighs. She could not stand and was in obvious pain so I made the decision to put her down. I already feathered and butchered her.

The puncture wounds were in the meat of the chicken, nothing internally was damaged. I am wondering if she would be safe to eat, if I need to cut out the area of the puncture wounds before brining, etc. Any help will be appreciated.

By the way, I know some folks can not imagine eating their hens and this post is by no means meant to upset you folks. I love my hens and take very good care of them but this was an unfortunate incident. Please do not be offended if you are in the "I can't imagine ever eating my hens, they are like kids to me" camp.

Will also post in the meat chicken section.

I'm sorry for your loss. I can't answer your question, but is posting in more than 1 section against BYC rules? IDK but you might want to check
smile.png

RhodeIsland - I just glanced over the rules and didn't see it but would be happy to delete one post if necessary. Which section do you think would have the best responses (I couldn't decide that's why I posted in both)?

Quote:
I thought I remembered seeing posts locked for cross-posting. I found it under Forum Rules, Don'ts - #8. No Bumping or Cross-posting topics. Bumping is posting to move a thread up on the forum list, and cross-posting is posting the same thread in several forums. Just trying to keep one of your posts from getting locked, that's all
smile.png
Maybe the meat bird section would get you more responses?

If you butchered her immediately after the attack, you could eat the breast and wings and discard the thighs that were wounded.

I PERSONALLY would be OK with eating the breast and wings, but other die hard food safety people might cringe.

Safest bet would be to cook her up and feed her to the dog. Ironic, yes, but wasting the meat is pointless.

I wouldnt worry one bit about a dog bite from my own dogs. I know my dogs are healthy, and the wounds are fresh, not infected. The meat is probably bruised in those areas, but I wouldnt be worried about contamination. Besides, you'll be cooking it. If cooking kills salmonella, it'll kill dog cooties.

If the chook was still full of adrenaline from the attack it probably won't taste as good.

As someone else has said, I'd eat the undamaged meat, but wouldn't touch the piece that was bitten, even if you cut out the bite marks. Cooking would probably sanitise it but the idea of eating wounded areas just doesn't appeal to me.

Back
Top Bottom