Dog attacked hen...broken/dislocated?

amarsano

Chirping
Aug 27, 2019
Southern New Hampshire
So a friend's dog broke through our fence and got one of my girls yesterday around 5. She's a 7 month old rhode island red. I've never had chickens before. When I got to her, she seemed in shock so I wrapped her and sat with her. I brought her in and crated her for the night. She is defecating, and drinking water, but not eating. She puts minimal weight on one leg and seems either collapsed or protruding on one side. I'm trying to find a local chicken vet, but I'm having trouble. Any advice?

Attachments

• 20191121_164002.jpg
    20191121_164002.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20191121_164002.jpg
    20191121_164002.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20191121_163952.jpg
    20191121_163952.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20191121_163958.jpg
    20191121_163958.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20191121_163955.jpg
    20191121_163955.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20191121_164002.jpg
    20191121_164002.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 4
seems either collapsed or protruding on one side
The leg does...or....?
Any open wounds?
Good that she's drinking...and may eat in time, give her something irresistible.

One of my first thoughts at seeing the pics....boy, that floor is gonna be hard to clean up!

@amarsano would help to know....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-11-22_9-47-59.png

The leg does...or....?
Any open wounds?
Good that she's drinking...and may eat in time, give her something irresistible.

One of my first thoughts at seeing the pics....boy, that floor is gonna be hard to clean up!

@amarsano would help to know....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 1964636
Okay, so I updated my area. I'm in Southern New Hampshire. She's been moved to a flat floor that is easier for cleanup :) No open wounds, she's walking more now, but seems slow, which is fine. Honestly, she seems "unbalanced". Not that she can't keep her balance, but that she is no longer symmetrical looking.
I've kept her inside last night, but am moving her to my garage, as I don't want her to get used to the heat. Plus, she seriously smells with all the poop.

Okay, so I updated my area.
Did you scroll down and hit 'save'?

Not that she can't keep her balance, but that she is no longer symmetrical looking.
Where does she look asymmetrical?
Is she just limping?
Taking a video would really help here.
Must be uploaded to youtube then linked here.

I'd just give her some time and keep an eye on her...getting her to eat is important to check crop and pooper function.

Last edited:
This , attached below, will help explain how to examine for any breaks or fractures. If you can identify the bone location where the issue is (illustration in the document below), that may help get suggestions. Without an xray, then physical examination is all you have to try to narrow it down.

Attachments

• Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
This , attached below, will help explain how to examine for any breaks or fractures. If you can identify the bone location where the issue is (illustration in the document below), that may help get suggestions. Without an xray, then physical examination is all you have to try to narrow it down.
Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for. She seems to be on the mend. She definitely poops, and is walking some. Also has started eating. Crossing my fingers!

Then hopefully it's just a sprain/strain, which is not uncommon. It could take some time, but hopefully she will continue to improve.

Back
Top Bottom