Dog attacked my baby ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by firstducks, Jul 9, 2016.

1. firstducks

firstducks New Egg

Jul 9, 2016
    I'm a first time duck owner I started out with 11 baby ducks and 5 African geese. There 3 weeks old. I've been putting them in outside pen during the day and today the dog got in there and killed 3 ducks and 1 goose. I have 2 geese that are injured. They both have hurt legs and won't stand up. the one in worst shape is bleeding and his foot is cold and limp. The other one is not bleeding he trys to stand but is unable to put pressure on one leg. When I hold him he moves his foot. What should I do?

2. BackyardFlock17

BackyardFlock17 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2016
    To stop the bleeding apply pressure to the wound with gauze to slow the blood flow. The best thing to do would be to take them to a vet ASAP.
    In the meantime, separate the injured geese and ducklings from the other birds. But them in a stress-free enviorment and give them constant care. Electrolites are alaways a good thing to give when able to.

3. firstducks

firstducks New Egg

Jul 9, 2016
    I've got the bleeding to stop I'm just worried about there legs. I'm not able to take them to the vet at least not until mon. I just don't want them to suffer..... I'm separating them now

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Give them a little time in a tub of lukewarm water, do not leave them alone, watch them closely. Ducks can recover from serious injury with proper treatment.

Check them over for puncture wounds. Look around the vent and under the wings, as well. Clip the feathers right around any wounds so you can monitor them. Rinse wounds with Vetericyn or saline solution. Don't give up on them - give them a chance.

I would put vitamins and electrolytes in their water.

And you have fixed the security problem, yes? Very important.

Also - any wounds will attract flies and they may lay their eggs in the wounds, so the injured ducklings must be kept where there are no flies.

5. firstducks

firstducks New Egg

Jul 9, 2016
    Yes I moved all of them back inside and I will secure there outside pen tomorrow. I'm not sure how the dog got on there. I'm afraid to put them in tub bc they can't even stand. As for putting vitamins in water where do I get that? Can I get it from farm store?

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I believe most farm stores carry vitamins with electrolytes, or vitamins, and electrolytes as separate powders. I think the kind I get uses a quarter teaspoon per gallon of water.

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

8. firstducks

firstducks New Egg

Jul 9, 2016
    Thank you I will go check that out tomorrow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by