Dog attacked my birds

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Laurelannu, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Laurelannu

Laurelannu Just Hatched

Sep 9, 2016
    Hello, I need some help with an emergency. Our dog managed to get into our chicken coop today and basically scalped one of our girls on her neck. He completely ripped off the skin with the feathers still attached on most of her neck. What should I do? I have to save this girl. For now, I am going t put my horse antibiotic spray on her neck and then the purple antibiotic spray over that so the other girls don't see the red and peck at her! Any help would be much appreciated. I feel horrible!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Unless she has suffered from an internal or head injury, she may recover from the wounds. You may want to put her inside a crate with food and water for a day or two, inside the coop with the others, just to make sure they don't hurt her. Bacitracin, plain neosporin ointments, or Vetericyn spray are all good for wound care. I have had good luck with BluKote also.

3. Laurelannu

Laurelannu Just Hatched

Sep 9, 2016
    Yes, I use the Blue Kote as well along with another antiseptic spray I use on my horse. It just worries me because it's not a puncture, she's actually been scalped on pretty much her whole neck. He ripped off her feathers with the skin layer still attached! I feel so bad. I have her and her sister who is also in shock in the kitchen in a crate keeping them warm. I like the Blue Kate because I think it helps defer the other girls away from the wound since it covers up the bright red they like to peck at. There is actually skin that will lift up by her head and you can see right to the muscle & tendons. I feel soooo bad for my little 'Muffy'. (Easter Egger)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by