Dog attacked my chicken so mad!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chrisxweaver, Dec 25, 2016.

1. chrisxweaver

chrisxweaver Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2016
    First it was my fault I had put my chickens in there run locked it then as I was walking back towards the house I noticed I left there food outside so I went back to the run and put it in there and I am guessing I closed it but didn't lock it. So roughly 3 hours later my grandma comes and yells Jenny (My dog) is trying to get at the chickens so I go outside and look around my dog is jumping on my wanting to play and I look at my chickens that normally stay in a pack and only 3/4 chickens where there the "Leader" of the pack was missing and I asked my grandma if she sees the other chicken and she says no but Jenny keeps going over there and at that point I knew she killed a chicken so as I am walking over to where my grandma pointed I see chicken claw marks and dog paw prints which indicate she was running and as I move closer my Biggest Best chicken is dead! The thing that gets me is that I've had these chickens for 2 and a half months and my dog has always been around them when they forage even when I am not watching directly and if my dog gets to close I tell her to stand back and she does she is only a Pomeranian/spaniel 1 year old only 15 pounds and she decides to have some fun and just kills a chicken! JUST KILLS IT FOR NO GOOD REASON! But like I said it's my fault so I didn't hit my dog or yell at her I calmly grabbed a rope and tied it to her for 5 hours my parents said it was to harsh but I don't think it is my dog KNOWS what she did and she knows not to go towards the chickens because I get on to her so after those 5 hours I just put her in her bed and ignored her gave her a dirty look every once and a while and hope that she learns. Sorry I just had to get that off my back I can't sleep!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Sorry for your loss. Yes, in my opinion dogs are the worst predator in that we tend to trust them more than wild predators and sometimes that trust comes back to bite us. Plus, unlike a coyote or a fox that will snatch a bird and dash off, dogs can wipe out a whole flock.

3. birdwrangler057

birdwrangler057 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina

Hi,
    sorry for your loss, it is only partly your fault, that dog had obviously been waiting for the chance to get at a chicken. When my dog digs in the trash or kills a chicken I shove her head in the trash remnants, or the chickens body and say, "No Ma'am! That's mine, not yours!" Over and over again. I know this sounds harsh, but dogs are stubborn if not taught, they need things engraved in their thick skulls.

4. birdwrangler057

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina

That is true.

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Yeah, Dogs kill Chickens because they have the prey drive and it is so much fun.......My Dogs are supper trained around my Birds...I have a Golden Retriever/Aussie cross who is 1 years old....She tried to Chase my Birds before I had her fully trained also....I got one of my Cockerels back this fall and because he was a new Bird she was going to get him out of my flock...I had to retrain her to accept him as part of the no kill/chase zone.......I made her lay down as my Birds free range around her..She quckly got used to them flying around her and now never looks at them...She only goes in to steal the feed and drink their water......I just bought a Mini Horse and she thinks he should be chased away also...Another training session in order......

Bad Dog, only thought she was being good........

Cheers!

6. birdwrangler057

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    To assure my dog doesn't ever do that, I put her in her place every once and a while, by holding her up to a chicken and roughly telling who's chickens they are. The good is, that my dog is a Boykin Spaniel and has bird mouth which means she is trained not to bite hard to protect the ducks she retrieves, so even if she went after a chicken she naturally couldn't bite down on the bird. Also, my chickens hate my dog and actually attack her.

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Dog is too young to trust. My dogs trained, yet they are a threat until nearly two years old. My dogs are used to guard poultry.

1 person likes this.
  8. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Haha!
    I have Hens that Chase my Dogs also....I am training a Yorkie to wrangle Chickens back to the Coop after free ranging....I think that is funniest thing I see in a day....lol.....She gets pounced and pecked but she is a Terrier and its all in days work...The hens all run back to the Coop when Lucy is wrangling.......lol

Cheers!

9. birdwrangler057

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina

Cool

10. birdwrangler057

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina

That's funny!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by