Dog attacked my chicken!

brandnewfarmer

In the Brooder
Dec 19, 2015
Unfortunately, one of my free range chickens got over the chain link fence and my dog got her. She has a broken wing for sure but aside from that was acting fine. We bandaged her wing to her body and separated her from the flock so they didn't pick on her. The next day she was falling over when she tried to walk. I thought it was due to the wrap but when I took it off, she was still falling over to the side with the broke wing! What can I do for her?!!

She does not have any open wounds. She wasn't eating and drinking. When I got home from work last night, I thought I was going to have to put her down. She had extremely labored breathing through her mouth, her comb was very white colored and she was shivering. She didn't even wake up when I moved the crate she is in. But...:I had done a lot of reading on here and learned a lot. I admit, I am new to chickens. I had gone to Walmart and gotten some things for her. I stayed up with her all night and gave her water soaked food, pedialyte, poly vi sol, baby aspirin, and baby spinach and kale. She did not like the yogurt. I wasn't sure about flavored pedialyte, so I got some of both but she loves the fruit flavored pedialyte. She perked up quickly and started dunking most of her beak in the pedialyte and started sucking it down. She ate 2 handfuls of the spinach/kale and quite a bit of laying pellets too. I also put a heat lamp near her, covered her up with towels, and placed a hand warmer under the towels with her (not touching her and I was awake with her all night making sure she wasn't getting hot). When my son woke up, he took over and I slept for a few hours. When I woke up, she was awake, eating, drinking, and yes, even standing!!!!! Yay! She still can't stand up by herself (from a laying position) but if you place her on her feet, she can stand without falling over. She still can't walk without falling though. Baby steps. We took the wrap off her wing to re-wrap and the wing seems to be laying to her side where it should be, not dragging the ground, so we have taken the wrap off for now. She is still weak and her legs try to give out on her while she stands but she's a fighter and keeps standing. She stood for a good 30 mins straight before I had to leave for work so I'm not sure how long total. From the reading I have done, I think it's a brain injury. My son said the dog shook her pretty good. There doesn't seem to be any broken bones in her legs so I'm hoping we can keep her strong enough to wait out the brain trauma. She seems in pretty good spirits this morning.

Back
Top Bottom