1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dog attacked my duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Allison W, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Allison W

Allison W New Egg

Jun 23, 2016
    One of my dogs attacked my duck. He doesn't seem to be gravely injured, mostly just unfeathered. His neck, wings, and legs seem to be fine. His back is where he is unfeathered. There seem to be no open wounds, the area is just a little red, but there's now blood. I don't know what to do.

2. Allison W

Allison W New Egg

Jun 23, 2016
    *There's no blood

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

My Dog just had mine last week and she got a good lesson on why she should never touch Moms Ducks..
    It might be bruised up? Mine was fine too. He still walks around the Dog with no fear.
    I think it will be fine...Mine was swung around by its neck and pounced on....

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2016
  4. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I'd separate the duck. Put him in a warm and quiet place where he can rest. There is a chance he could go into shock and you'll want a chance to watch for signs of injury. Make sure he is eating and drinking. If you have nutri drench, electrolytes, or vitamins you can put in the water I would go ahead and add that. If it were me I would separate him for at least a day, just to be sure. If after that time there are no obvious signs of injury and he seems okay, I'd return him to the flock.

He might to get really stressed out from being alone. If that happens you can bring another member of the flock in with him to keep him company. Preferably one that is calm and he gets along with.

2 people like this.
  5. Allison W

Allison W New Egg

Jun 23, 2016
    I only have one other duck and they get along very well. Ice kept them together so that he won't go into distress. Would vitamin e work??

6. Allison W

Allison W New Egg

Jun 23, 2016
    Yes I was very very angry at him. I hope your duck was fine. Mine was pounced on only.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2016
  7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Yes, he is fine..dog learned quickly. I never babied my Duck. He wasn't hurt so we continued on as if nothing happened. I didn't want to stress him out.

8. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Not sure if vitamin E would do much. Electrolytes (like sav-a-chick) and nutri drench are just good for birds. A boost to the immune system will help speed healing. And it won't harm your other duck to get a little extra too. They are good to keep on hand but if you don't have them there is no urgent need to run out and buy them now.

If you only have two then I wouldn't separate. It doesn't seem like he is too bad off but it wouldn't hurt to keep them both confined for a bit so he can rest and recoup. There is a chance he has internal injuries so you'll want to watch or that. If he is walking around without trouble chances are he'll be fine. Ducks are pretty hardy animals.

1 person likes this.
  9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I agree with @lomine

And I would probably spray the back with Vetericyn or saline solution a couple of times a day. And I would check carefully under wings and around the vent just to be sure not to miss anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by