Dog attacked my hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by outdoorbunny, Dec 19, 2014.

1. outdoorbunny

outdoorbunny Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2012
    Culpeper, Virginia
    I came home from work last night to find that my 6 month old Pyrenees puppy had caught and pulled all the feathers off the back and legs of one of my hens. I didn't find any puncture wounds and no serious bleeding but some of the skin is gone and covered in dried blood.

She is so sweet and I don't want to lose her. What can I do for her? I have her in a cage in the house where she can be warm and out of harms way. I didn't touch her back or clean off the wounds yet. She was in shock and I didn't want to make it any worse for her. But tonight I would like to get her cleaned up. What can I use on her skin?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Debra

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

You can flush the wounds well with warm water or saline or you can use Chlorhexidine (sp?) or Betadine. Then apply a good coating of plain Neosporin, not the kind with pain relief in it. Then keep her in a warm, quiet place where you can observe if she's eating/drinking well on her own. When she does go back out cover her wounds with BluKote so the other chickens will not be attracted to it. If it's very cold and she's very naked you may need to keep her in a more protected place for quite a while.

3. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    X2

MrsB

4. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    So sorry to hear about your accident. It sounds like you're doing good so far. Follow up with what cafarmgirl suggested and she should be better in no time! Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by