Dog attacked my Lucy!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ameeks, Feb 8, 2014.

1. ameeks

ameeks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2014
    Benton, AR
    You can see in the pics that she got hurt pretty bad. I'm new to the chicken thing so I got on here and searched and read and came up with a plan. She' s in a smaller pet carrier in my house now. Today I went and got tetracycline for her water and iodine to clean her wounds. I also got some Rooster Booster. Thankfully she is eating good. I mixed up oatmeal, honey, banana and a boiled egg yolk and she ate every bit of it. I'm still worried about her though. Her bottom just looks so bad and is constantly seeping runny poo. She does have solid stool too though. Any suggestions on what else I can do for her? She's become a pet and loves to cuddle and talk to me, I don't want to lose her[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Hi, Welcome to BYC!

It sounds like you are on the right track. Keep her clean, keep her eating, keep her quiet, and keep her warm (not too warm.) She will likely heal on her own. It is hard to tell from the pics, is the muscle involved, or just skin? If it is just the skin, make sure it is clean beneath it (between skin and muscle) and keep some antibiotic cream on it. Don't use anything that contains any of the "-caine"s for pain, it's not good for birds. If there are muscles involved, it may interfere with her bodily processes and she may need to be culled. I know that would be hard, but you wouldn't want her to suffer.

I think she has a good chance of surviving and healing with just a bit of assistance from you.

Gook luck! [​IMG]

3. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    thats some pretty sever injury's. does your vet do chickens?

4. ameeks

Feb 1, 2014
    Benton, AR
    From what i can tell it's just the skin. She looks a little swollen back there and there is some bruising but no punctures or anything. Thanks for the encouraging words. She's got a strong will. She spent the night outside in 20 something degree weather and came back home just before the snow started yesterday. I'd love to get the dog that did it. She killed one of my hens already, she was a loner and wouldnt stay with the flock.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  5. ameeks

Feb 1, 2014
    Benton, AR
    I have no idea. We've only had them a couple of weeks.

6. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

One of the things she needs the most is rest. Make sure she stays in dim light during the day and dark at night. This will keep her quiet. Move slowly and talk softly to her when feeding her, cleaning her quarters, or tending her wounds. She will likely get used to you quickly and will not be a frightened of you and your attentions. Chickens have an unbelievable ability to heal. Give her time, see what happens. Let us know if you need any more help, advice, or words of encouragement. We'll be here.

7. ameeks

Feb 1, 2014
    Benton, AR
    Shes in a dog crate in my house and i cover it with a blanket at night leaving the back open for ventilation. She perched on my arm this evening while gathering things for her bath and wound cleaning. She seemed to enjoy the warm water, only fussing when i cleaned her bottom. I'm worried about her vent. I've been reading and looking at pictures and hers doesn't look the same. I did probe a little during her bath while wearing gloves and everything looks pink and healthy inside.

8. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Has her vent been damaged? Clean wounds daily using a saline or diluted peroxide solution. If wounds become infected,switch to peroxide full strength if needed. Signs of infection are:foul smell coming from wounds,swelling/redness,spreading swelling/redness,bird becoming lethargic,not eating/drinking. Tetracycline may help with infection,but if wounds do become infected you are probably going to need something stronger. Keep her warm(very important)when birds are ill/injured,they cannot regulate their body temp so additional heat is required. Keep her quiet and calm. Give her electrolytes for shock. Keep her inside and keep her separate from other birds. Wounds will heal from the inside out. Keep wounds uncovered.

For pain you can purchase Metacam from a vet or give her a low dose aspirin(81mg)or a reg aspirin(325mg)dose is 25mg per lb of body weight. Crush and place in water or sprinkle over feed or give orally(wrap in a pce of meat or cheese).

Make sure she is eating/drinking.

9. ameeks

Feb 1, 2014
    Benton, AR
    Thanks Ten Chicks. I got some gauze pads and self adhering wrap today to cover the leg wound but Lucy pulled it down as soon as I put her in her crate for bed so I just took it off. I thought it would help keep it clean, but I guess she knew more than me lol

10. ameeks

Feb 1, 2014
    Benton, AR
    Lucy just woke up again. Fed her more oatmeal and egg yolk. Now perched on my shoulder and back of neck. Such a sweet girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by