Dog attacked my Polish hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mkearsley, Jul 19, 2010.

1. mkearsley

mkearsley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    South-west Idaho
    My chihuahua attacked my year-old polish hen. She pulled out TONS of feathers on the back of the hen's head, so there's a bald spot, but no blood. I've got 1 other adult hen, but she chases the baby chicks, and leaves the polish alone. I'm worried as to whether or not I should separate her from the other hen & babies & for how long - when can I expect her feathers to grow back? I feel terrible - the dog's never attacked before...... help! The dog is being punished & will never be allowed around the birds again off her chain, but I don't want to lose the polish, she's the sweetest bird I have, she actually comes up to me [​IMG] Please help

2. ekemily

ekemily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    It sounds like she will be fine. I would leave them all together like usual and just watch them. If the other hen starts pecking at her bald spot, you can go from there with some ointments or separation. My Mom's best advice to me has always been "don't borrow trouble."
    Do you have a picture of the bald spot?
    oh, and [​IMG]

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Just to be safe, I think I would put some kind of pick no more stuff on the bald spot-especially since it is on the head and keep an eye out to make sure she isn't getting picked.
    Glad it wasn't worse!

4. mkearsley

Jul 19, 2010
    South-west Idaho
    How do I attach a photo? Thanks for the advice & welcome [​IMG] I'll keep an eye on her. They normally all sleep in their own nests, so I'm not too worried at night, & they're free-range in the backyard, so I hope she can get away [​IMG]

5. mkearsley

Jul 19, 2010
    South-west Idaho
    Would the local farm & garden supply store have that? Should I separate her until I can get it tomorrow after work?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by