Dog attacked my roo need advise ASAP!!!!!!!!

Galtice

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 8, 2013
Virginia
Ok so this morning my dog whom I know due to past history will attack chickens so I keep them fenced in surrounded by an invisible dog fence I had four chickens in the dog pen by the house somehow she got in killed two one flew out we thought hank my roo was dead too but when my husband went out to clean up he came in saying hank is alive he moved he is breathing. My first thought was omg we are going to have to cull this bird I was terrified as I approached the cage me nor my husband can kill this bird and I have read success stories but I need advice on how to treat him.
Almost all his feathers are plucked skin bare some blood but he is not bleeding just really raw what can I put on his skin
He is laying in my bathroom adjusting himself at times has his eyes closed but I can see them moving and he opened one eye to look at me when I initially picked him up I have him wrapped in a towl with a heat lamp and am going in and checking on him every 30 mins or so and making sure to switch him around basically just switching the side he is laying on is this necessary?
I am dipping his beak in water with sav a chick electrolytes in it he seems to appreciate
I am noticing more and more movement with every check I do but he still is just laying there looking like he is sleeping please help me and my poor bird I know he has to be in pain and I would like to do anything possible to help this I CANNOT kill him i can't even kill a bug ....he has what looks like a couple very shallow puncture wounds but for the most part looks like she just plucked him again some blood spots but no bleeding please please please help any advise will be GREATLY appreciated

Sounds like you are doing all that you can and everything your doing is what people would suggest. So just keep checking on him and keep him hydrated and warm not hot you don't want to cook him. If he is in your house he is probably warm enough. He is most likely just in shock and putting him in a new place will take some getting use to too. Make sure the puncture wounds are clean. You can try and flush them out if you have a syringe without a needle, like the ones used to give little kids their meds. Just use lukewarm soapy water and then rinse with lukewarm water. You can put neosporin with OUT the pain relievers in it, as chickens are allergic to it.

I wish you the best of luck. I hate to say it but the dog will have to be distroyed or given away. Once they get a taste for killing chickens they won't stop. I had one dog kill three chickens (Rosealie, Kole, and Alice) well he got loose again Monday and killed another (Foghorn (was a white leghorn) and drug him all over the yard leaveing feathers every where then took a chunk out of him. (poor Foghorn he was my buddy) and he tried to kill another (Cocky) he snatched out this chickens tail. I had to take to dog out and shoot him because I tried to put him in a crate to call the pound to come get him and he growled at me. I couldn't risk him attacking some child. The bullet was a clean shot and quick death.

Here's my poor Cocky.

Thank God my hen Red got away, and I had my chicks in the house (18 eggs, 17 hatched, 2 died right after hatching (mama bird pecked them out the shell) 2 died when she sat on them and their necks broke on the water dish) and one flew out of the box I have them in and slammed into the wall and died, so we have 12 babies)

Between him and my neighbors dog (who if I catch again in my yard I will shoot (neighbor lets a pit run loose) Ive lost

1 Road Island Female
1 Leghorn Male
2 Black (unknown breed or sex)
1 multi color (unknown breed or sex but was a beautiful bird)
1 tan color unknown breed or sex

Since June when I started raseing chickens.

My birds are free range but never left the yard, I plan on getting a coop and was going to have one sooner but we needed the money for a medical emergency.

Does anyone know if he will get his feathers back

he could have internal injuries without a vet theres no way of knowing but it sounds like he is in shock. so it sounds like you are doing it right except it would be better in a cage covered with the heat lamp. you can put some ointment on him later when he feels a little better. hope it works out for him

Thank you so much for the responses I'm I'm here with him now I keep hoping to open my bathroom door and have my big ol rooster all over the place. I'm pretty sure he is suffering from shock he continues to move more and more but still not opening his eyes that's my goal as of now I guess....and I couldn't kill my dog either I will just know from now on not to use the dogs pen sense she has the invisible fence and a real fence in between her the coop and run she shouldn't be able to get in to them

stuff happens! we do it all the time.
hugs.gif

Thank you I was holding off on the washing him because I don't think he can handle any more stress .....and yes I have thought about the internal injuries at this point I'm just saying a prayer and trying to keep him as comfortable as possible for his situation and I have a dog who refuses to come out from under the bed she has been there all day because SHE IS IN BIG TROUBLE but I love her too ugh.....not a good way to spend my turkey day vaca!!!!

poor doggy, its their nature, but i will say my dog did this ONCE. i beat her ... and she wont even look at them now. i didnt want to do that but i did and it worked. i was training her to help me round them up and i guess i didnt know how much she was enjoying herself

Well that's why she is under the bed...I did that myself I think she got the point but I would never trust her with them I appreciate the support I don't have any chicken friends lol so its nice to get good sound advise and conversation with people who have raised these wonderful creatures they are amazing and I feel horrible its my job to keep them healthy happy and safe and I feel like I failed at the moment
1f625.png

well heres a good one. i had some chicks hatch out 2 months or more ago and one was crippled severely, i started with shoes till i got his feet turned right and then his toes were curled really bad so i focused on them with everything i could find and was recommended like pipe cleaners ect... after all this time he was not healed and as he grew he started to have a hard time with balance and his leg joint was giving on him. so after a hard look i decided to cull this bird i had worked so hard on. now, i usually hold the chick in my hands until it goes to sleep and then use my tree pruner . this time, and i havent done this but a couple times, the pruner twisted and only injured the chick but i dropped it, it went running down into the woods and i had to chase it down , catch it with a net and finish the job. i was sick for a week.so much for a peaceful end. it was terrible and i hope i never have to do it again. so, like i said , we all have those days. btw, i think its awesome to have someone to talk chicken with too!!

Back
Top Bottom