dog attacked now chicken is hurt. What to do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kristysedai, Nov 9, 2011.

1. kristysedai

kristysedai Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    Our chickens got attacked by a dog yesterday, one died and they are all missing feathers but only one of them seems really injured. She is a 7 month Auruacna. She is limping really bad and has a spot that was bleeding on her back. I don't want to give up on her yet but I'm not sure if that is just causing her more needless pain. The other chickens started pecking her today so we put her by herself in the coop. Any advice?

2. OrphanNanny

OrphanNanny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Wausau, Wisconsin
    Definitely keep her seperated so the other don't pick on her wound. Maybe some electrolites in her water and some antibiotic ointment or Blue Kote on her wound. Hope she pulls through this for you, chickens are surprisingly resiliant and can recover from some awful injuries. I myself am nursing a rooster who was hit by a car on the highway....some TLC goes a long way [​IMG]

3. nonsuch

nonsuch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Poy Sippi, WI
    Be sure to thoroughly cleanse the puncture wounds and she definitely needs to be on antibiotics. One of my Chickens was attached a few weeks ago. She seemed sore but we thought she was going to be alright. She died 3 days later. I believe her puncture wounds became infected. The Vet gave us Tetracycline. I later talked to Dr Peter Brown (The Chicken Doctor) and he said it was the wrong antibiotic, she should have been on cepalaxin. Many of the antibiotics only treat upper respiratory infections. Keep her warm and separte from the other Chickens. I would give her electrolytes in her water (Pedialyte from Wal-Mart works), and some yummy hight protein food, like scrambled eggs. Let us know how she's doing.

4. kristysedai

kristysedai Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    Thank you. I will do those things. I think I will bring her in the garage where I can watch her better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by