Dog attacked one of my meaties,can I still eat him?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by kiwi-chookn, Jul 1, 2010.

1. kiwi-chookn

kiwi-chookn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2009
    hi guys,from the frozen south of NZ
    My dog attacked one of my Cobb meat birds,and broke its wing to the point of an open fracture at the elbow.
    I dispatched him within ten mins of the accident,but had to leave him hanging for an hour as I had other things to do.
    Firstly,can I eat him after that amount of time hanging,unprocessed?
    Also,on skinning him I found a small amount of bruising,and a busted artery on one leg,which had spread under the skin.
    Can he still be eaten and not wasted?
    Any replies welcomed [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    it should be fine, but did you bleed him while he was hanging or wait an hour for that too?

3. Raiquee

Raiquee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Big Bend, WI
    I would almost cook him and feed him to the dog. I'm not sure, maybe it's just me though. You never know if bacteria got in, although you said it's cold there?

Most people would probably say eat it, but I got issues with that sort of stuff. I would say if you have to sit and stare at it and wonder, feed it to the dog. If you feel comfortable eating it, go for it! [​IMG]

4. 95yj

95yj Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    I'd say cook it up for the dog, you'd probably be fine, but why risk it. unless your confident in your immune systems abilities. I feel terrible for saying this but when i first saw your title i thought you were wondering about eating your dog, and i was gonna say that it was just a chicken, i'm sure you could find forgiveness, but luckily you were not planning on eating mans best friend...

5. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Many a pheasant, quail, dove, rabbit, etc. are shot by hunters and carried by them all day before processing them. Nothing different here. Once a dog starts to kill chickens, it will do so again and more often. Many cultures have dog meat as a main ingredient on their dinner menu.

6. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    It should be fine. Cooking will kill any bacteria present. It doesn't sound like there was much (if any) actual penetration by teeth.

Dogs can be trained to leave the birds alone, even after they've killed some. I've trained several. A combination of Dog Whisperer, (Cesar Milan), and Victoria Stillwell's (of It's Me or the Dog) methods work well.

Good luck, hope all works out for you.

7. ChickenPotPie

ChickenPotPie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    California
    What would Bear Grylls say? He'd eat it and the the dog, too. [​IMG] Kidding. I'm just saying it's not as bad as you might think. As pointed out, hunters come home with plenty of good food they shot early in the day, retrieved by a dog with not such a soft mouth, cooked up, and they're fine.

I certainly would not reward the dog with what it killed. My neighbor, however, would hook the bird up to the electric fence and let the dog try to go after it again. That's the quick way to train a chicken killing dog to leave them alone. >.<

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  8. poodlepill

poodlepill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I were going to feed my dog a chicken I would not cook it first I'd feed it to it raw, bones and all. Wolves don't "cook their meet" Cooking cooks out the vit-minerals the dog would benefit from.

9. kiwi-chookn

kiwi-chookn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2009
    Hi thanks for the replies.
    It is cold down here,not quite frozen yet though,but the bird was still alive,I chopped its head off and let it hang and bleed out in my garage,went out,got home an hour later,processed it and put it in an iced brine.
    About the eating my dog comment....well.................thought crossed my mind on shotting him,but you cant kill a dog for doing what comes natural.My chooks had no fear of my dogs,and got too close to the grumpy dog,hence the injured chook.
    he weighed in at almost 5KG dressed,11wks old....and wasnt even as big as one of the others I have,so seems like a waste yes.
    And rewarding the dog with the thing it killed,wont be doing that......i like ur way of thinking.
    Thanks guys,ill reply after chicken dinner tomorrow night [​IMG]

10. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    no reply....hmmm....guess you shouldn't of eaten it afterall. [​IMG]

Hope all worked out well!!![​IMG]

Huh? Dates are showing up wrong on my page...said you posted that on August 2009 then I noticed MY post that was just made said it was posted in April 2009...so please forgive my humor above and I look forward to hearing how it all worked out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by