dog attacked our Wellsummer :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rockwoodfamilyflock, Sep 23, 2010.

1. rockwoodfamilyflock

rockwoodfamilyflock Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2010
    Hi all,
    Sadly, our sweet Welsummer Lizzie, was found in the mouth of our dog Toby late yesterday. She's in the coop now but I think I might isolate her in the brooder box with heat lamp. Not sure if this is necessary or not? She is not moving, eating or drinking.

She may have a puncture wound based on a small amount of blood I found, but I'm not sure how to get beneath the feathers to see what I'm dealing with. Suggestions?

My plan is to do what others have suggested on BYC by cleaning her up with Betadine, then apply some neosporin or something daily. Is this enough or do I need to get some vitamins and antibiotics as well?

Any suggestions on the above as well as what I might feed her? An eyedropper of yogurt was my first thought

Thanks for any advice.

2. FlashPointFarm

FlashPointFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Iowa
    If you hold her on her side and lay a towel over her head, she should relax enough to work on. Clean it with Betadine and put neosporin on it daily. Yes, yogurt is great for her.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I dont think a heat lamp would be necessary unless your temps are cold or she is feeling chilled.

Infections are teh worst kind but what you are doing, is the best you can do right now.

4. rockwoodfamilyflock

rockwoodfamilyflock Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2010
    Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, she didn't make it. I'm glad I was able to take special care of her, feed her some yogurt etc before she passed. I really appreciate the tip about the towel, which worked beautifully. She relaxed and let me check her over with no problem. I never even located an open wound of any kind. I either missed it or she had internal injuries to complicate matters.
    Thanks again. I hope this doesn't ever happen again, but I'll be more prepared if it does.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by