dog attacked! What can I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Frza, May 12, 2010.

1. Frza

Frza Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    Portland
    The dog chased / attacked my 3 month old RIR!! There was no biting, just a 3 second chase and some 'patting' /pouncing. The dog is large and heavy with big paws. I'm sure that she could have hurt my hen with the force of her patting/ pouncing. The hen immediately ran back into the run to hide. She didn't have any bleeding or obvious damage at first but now it's been about an hour and I notice her behavior is very odd. She is staying to herself, standing still rather than running around pecking at bugs and weeds with her sisters. Also she is keeping one eye closed. I have seen her open it and look around but she obviously feels better with it closed. She is just acting odd and am very concerned.
    Is there anything I can do to help her? My first instinct was to pick her up and comfort her but she is really timid and skittish, I'm scared this will only frighten her more. I am waiting to see if she can find her way back into the coop tonight. Is she in shock? How long would that last? Should I take her to the doctor? Do you think she may now be blind in the one eye? Any advice would be appreciated. I feel terrible just sitting here not helping her!

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I think you should pick her up and get a better look at her.

Since she's skittish, you'll also be able to gauge her condition by how how much she resists your picking her up. If she doesn't resist, then you know she probably doesn't feel too good.

Once you get a better look at her, feel her bones, etc., to try to assess what might have happened, you'll be able to make a better decision.

You might also want to share a picture of that eye. If she's keeping it closed, it is likely at least scratched.

3. Frza

Frza Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    Portland
    oh I really hope it is just scratched. I know that would be painful, but I'll be so sad if she loses her sight. Or worse!
    I brought some grapes out and she ran over to me and ate and seemed like herself, just with 1 bad eye. I watched her march right into the coop to roost with her sisters, which eased a bit of my worry.
    I just did a search for 'dog attack' on the forum and now feel lucky that I was able to stop it immediately, I read some real horror stories. I plan to keep a close eye on her and I hope that she gets good rest tonight. I will post an update tomorrow.

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    That's an excellent sign!

Hopefully, the worst is already over. [​IMG]

5. luckyramu

luckyramu Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Apple Valley
    It sounds like she took an injury and will heal. If she loses an eye, make a pirate patch and give her a new name.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by