dog attacks my chickens for the 3rd time

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jackiesmamachick, Jun 30, 2010.

1. jackiesmamachick

jackiesmamachick Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    Hi Guys after all the support and advise I got yesterday reguarding the 3rd the dog has been on my prperty and killed 16 chickens I filed a claim this morning they say they are looking at end Aug begining Sept for a court date

2. TNRIRRoo

TNRIRRoo Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2010
    Not sure what your political correctness level is but if the neighbors dog was on my property for the third time and had killed 16 birds there would not be a report. Like I said, not trying to offend. That dog has a taste for blood now and won't stop.

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Best of luck! I'm sorry you're having to go thru this. I missed your prev. post, but really hope the neighbor or animal control will finally take charge of the dog and you won't have further problems. That is a lot of birds to lose. [​IMG]

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Is this 16 MORE chickens? Meaning he has killed 31 plus injuring your ducks? Or is it one more for a total of 16?

Insist that animal control take the dog and quarantine it at its owner's expense until the outcome of your trial. As I said on the other thread, as a part of your suit, strongly ask that the animal be rehomed to a responsible owner. Find out what all expenses you can tack on in addition to your finanial losses and do so. Pain and suffering is probably not available for animals, but punitive damages as she did nothing to prevent subsequent attacks might well be considered reasonable. Absolutely ask for all your costs (attorney fees, court costs, etc.) to be covered by the idiot dog owner.

5. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    Quote:The ONLY report needs to be from a rifle!

6. jjthinkagain

jjthinkagain Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    I'm sorry - I missed any previous threads or I would have fervently urged getting those chickens in lockdown until the dog was assuredly not a threat. They shouldn't have had to die [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Well, so I'll say it now. If you have any left, please please don't leave them vulnerable. The dog's person - and therefore the dog - cannot be trusted and the court date is far away.
    This is very sad. I'm sorry.
    JJ

7. jackiesmamachick

jackiesmamachick Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    Thats the sad part my guys were securs in 3 rail wood fence heave link fence and electric the dog dug under and got them. I was balling my eyes out my adult kids had to deal with police and owners mum who took dog out of paddock. My daughter is moving in she has 3 mastiffs and a rottie that are in all day with the sheep baby goats chicks ducks ect and you know what god help anything that comes into their paddock and hurt one of the babies they are so protective of them we have picture of a 1 day old kittem the dogs washed the lamb 1 week old they washed and the 24 baby goats they washed they also try to wash some of the chickens so funny those big dogs would give their lives to save one of them. But thats how she brought them up they are one of the flock

8. shesaredroan

shesaredroan Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sure that WHERE you live makes a big difference in your choice of recourse, also your relationship with the neighbor who owns the dog. In the ten years I've raised chickens, there have been problems from hawk, snake, coyote, neighbor's dogs and even my own dogs......if it's not one thing, it's another.....makes life interesting. : )
    In the case of my neighbor's dogs:
    I live in the country in central Texas, my neighbor was away for several months and I didn't know who was tending his dogs. After I repeatedly saw them going under the gate with one of my chickens in mouth plus trails of feathers leading back to the neighbor's place, I called the Sheriff's Dept and a Deputy came out to talk with me. He told me I had the right to shoot the dogs since they were on my property killing my animals. That was not an option for me....goes against my grain. SO, I shored up the hen house, strengthen my hen yard fences and started keeping the pistol next to the back door. When ever I saw or heard the dogs on my property I'd go out and shout at them and fire the pistol at the ground to make sure those dogs knew I meant business. The sound of a gun being fired does a pretty good job of frightening, or getting the attention of everybody. That helped a bit, but in the end the dogs were rehomed. So THAT problem came to an end
    While you wait for the court date think about working on making your hen house a fortress. I think of it as 'matching wits with the dogs, coyotes, hawks....' and talk with your feed store folks, I've always found my feed store to be a great source of information.
    Good luck and remember having chickens will always bring new adventures and learning. : )

9. jjthinkagain

jjthinkagain Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Thanks Suze (Sonoran Silkies).

Heartbreaking jackies.... [​IMG]

Impressive barracades but an even more determined dog who will remain determined. It's so bloody frustrating, I know.
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by