Dog attaked chicken stitched back together *graphic pics*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Alleyoops25, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    I wish I would have taken pictures of my poor Buff Orpington. Last night my daughter brought her in and she has literally been skinned by nieghborhood dogs. She had huge gash in the center of her back. And then one that started at the base of her neck and ran unser her left wing and then down around her neck. I couldnt get a vet as it was like 10:30 at night so I put her in our kitchen sink and wash out her wounds. I boiled some water and soaked a needle in the water and then soaked thread in some rubbing alchol. I sat down and started stitching her back up. I didnt know what else to do. There was 234 stitches in her by the time I was done and didnt finish until 1:00 am. I was really amazed by her. She sat and let me work on her with not many complaints. Only clucked in that soothing sound they make when they are getting ready to go to sleep. I didnt think I was going to be able to get this done as The torn skin on her back was HUGE. and around her wing and neck it took quite a lot to stretch the skin to get it back together. I forced some pedia lite down her with a medicine sringe. I put a every thick coat of neosporin over the areas that were stitched back together. I checked her trough out the night and she was undoubtably sore, but looked like the stitches were holding good, and no infection found so far. Has anyone else ever had to stitch up a chicken, on there own? And do the the stitches look good to you all? And how long do you think I should keep them in? I tried the vet again today and well ours is out of town, and no one else will care for "farm animals, or poultry" So I am praying that she doesnt get a infection and will heal up pretty fast. I am going out later to get some penicillion from the feed store, to better protect her from an infection. I still offer up pedia lite, and have be making sure she eats. She really doesnt want to eat or drink anything but when I put the pedia lite down her she perks up. I have also forced some layer feed down her as well, this has also help her energy level. If you all have some better ideas feel free to give em. I do wish I took before pictures of her last night. I was just in a hurry to get her stitched up. BUt these are all the areas I worked on. Let me know what you think. [​IMG][​IMG] This is the lower part of her back[​IMG]This is right between her wings and the base of her neck this runs down under her left wing and across her neck and breast next two pics[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

3. GloriaH

GloriaH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    Wow you did good! You will need to keep antibiotic ointment on it and watch to see if it starts to ooz. Are you going to shoot the penicillin? That is the way I always do it. 2cc for the first couple of days then 1 cc for about a week. Just put it under the shin. I also take and scrammble an egg and put some uncooked oatmeal in it. Scramble it in a little oil. It stays pretty firm so you can get it into her mouth. Start her on avian charge. She may want to sleep alot. that is normal. Just keep her hydrated, fed and clean.

4. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    I am going to tell you what the Dr. told me when my son had stitches. Use the info as you want.

A little neospoin(SP?) is better than a lot. It needs to breath. Take peroxide and delute it half with water and clean it with a qtip 2 xs a day and then apply the neosporin.

She looks pretty good. I would have hated to see what she looked like last night. She deserves a bowl of warm oatmeal!

5. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    OMG......you are so brave to do all that for your sweet girl. I cannot imagine going through what you have.
    Congratulations on the great work and courage.

6. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    Good job!!

She must have looked pretty bad last night to require that
    many stitches.

7. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Do you want me to send you some Avia Charge 2000? If that is what Gloria is talking about..... I bought a big tub of it and I'd be happy to stick some in the mail. It is not meds, its an all-natural mix that aids immune system, digestion, etc. I'm happy to send some if you give me your address.
    Good luck
    Stacey

8. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    what kinda materail did u use to sew it up cloth thread. if so how u gona get them out. that will be painful. just had to ask.

9. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    You are so wonderful! What a great EMT you are!

With all that injury she probably does need internal antibiotics in addition to the topical neosporin. ASAP.

For wound cleansing, my understanding is to dilute hydrogen peroxide a lot (9 parts water, 1 part HP) and cleanse wounds gently.

For pain, five 325 mg regular aspirins crushed per gallon of water is often recommended on BYC. Probably need to do this right away as it looks like she would be in a world or hurt - hopefully the aspirin water will take the edge of her pain so she can rest and have the will to get better.

Warm, dry, quiet, comfy quarters.

Whatever foods she will take -warm oatmeal, scrambled egg, plain yogurt with live cultures.....Mixed with some of her layer food, whatever amount she'll tolerate. My two like warm mashed butternut squash - not a staple but if she likes it, a bit of this could help cheer her.

Avia Charge 2000 (MCMurray Hatchery is one source) in her water.

Sending lots of good wishes! JJ

10. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Have you talked to the dogs' owners?
    I think they might like to see what "never hurt a fly" Fluffy and Fido can do when they're loose.[​IMG]
    You did a great job stitching her up. Congrats.[​IMG] Hope she'll be fine soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by