Dog bite on chicken. Does this look infected?

alittletoofar

Chirping
Jun 26, 2018
Bay Area, California
Does this look like an infection? There is no puss or band smell so I'm hoping it is just normal chicken healing. The color just seems wrong to me. I've read every post I could find on how to treat the wound and looked at a ton of pictures of injuries. I just couldn't find many of the healing process.

The story.
Thursday evening, a 5 month old hound puppy attacked one of our chickens. It wasn't very long until my son stopped it, but she managed to do some real damage. Maybe the sharp puppy teeth made it worse. :(

Anyway, here is what I've done.
7/11/19 - tried to cut away all the feathers; washed with saline; covered in regular neosporin; no bandage; started Tylan 50 (.5cc daily)
7/12/19 - washed with Chlorhexidine & then Betadine; no bandage
7/13/19 - started using Vetericyn Poultry Care 2 times per day; covered in bandage
7/14/19 - continued with the Vetericyn & neosporin because it seemed to act as a barrier; covered in bandage
7/15/19 - continued with the Vetericyn; removed bandage

She is eating & drinking fine. She laid an egg on 7/12 & none since. She is in the house, although I did take her outside over the weekend. I wanted her to get some sunshine.

What else can I do if it is infected?

Attachments

• wing.png
    wing.png
    378.4 KB · Views: 27
  • back.png
    back.png
    807.4 KB · Views: 18
  • back2.png
    back2.png
    806.1 KB · Views: 18

Back