Dog bite on leg.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pawsplace, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Pawsplace

Pawsplace New Egg

Oct 13, 2010
    Our neighbors dogs were loose and attacked one of my 2 yr old hens three days ago. She cannot put weight on her right leg and has open wounds about halfway up her leg which I have been treating daily with a water bath, betadine and antibiotic cream with fresh gauze. Her upper leg/thigh is green which I think is bruising and the leg/foot is swollen. My concern is that the open wound is oozing (rusty colored) and has an odor that indicates infection. She is eating, drinking, sleeping inside in a clean box and is in good spirits otherwise. She happens to be our favorite hen and an amazing patient. I'm about to call a vet but wanted to try the forum out and see if anyone has other thoughts.
    Thank you, Lori

2. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    I'd do a good soak in epsom salt water to help ease pain and draw out infection. You might also start some oral abx as well.

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Sounds like she's going to need oral or injectible antibiotic to beat back infection, in addition to the topical antibiotic - the vet will need to issue you the right stuff so you can get her on it right away. She may also benefit greatly from pain relief - since you're calling the vet, metacam or some other pain reliever may be prescribed (if not, you can make aspirin water at one baby aspirin per cup water).

The dogs - another story - they will do everything in their power to come back for a repeat performance. Birds in lockdown and neighbors to be dealth with, but first things first - getting your girl on the road to recovery...

JJ

4. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Sounds like she needs to take some antibiotic. Hopefully the vet can give you something to give her. Dog bites are always nasty.

5. Pawsplace

Pawsplace New Egg

Oct 13, 2010
    Thanks for all of your suggestions. We'll see the vet this afternoon and I'll report back.

6. Kitty Cat

Kitty Cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Campos De La Gracia
    Quote:x2 Epsom salt is wonderful for treating infections.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by