Dog bite or something else??

Coco

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 18, 2008
I'm wondering if you could help me figure out what this is and what I should do (if anything) about it...

Today I noticed right before leaving for a appointment, that my 10 year old mutt had a swollen lip/cheek area. So I felt it...warm to the touch and hard and swollen. I pulled it up to look in the inside of her mouth, could tell her cheek was swollen but didnt see anything abnormal. Her gums, etc all looked just fine...no swelling or anything. I was running late so had to leave. Came back about an hour or so later, touched the side of her face, there was some blood! I took a close look...couldn't tell where it was coming from...no puncture wounds or cuts anywhere...nothing seemed more tender or sensitive to her...didnt see any blood on the inside of her mouth....it clearly came from the outside area. Well had to go out again for my hubby's b-day dinner, came home again a few hours later...it's still noticably swollen but no blood or anything. Had my brother look at it...he has no idea what it is but could obviously tell the swelling was there. There is no swelling anywhere else on her head or body. She's acting fine...doesnt act like it's bothering her. I asked her if she wanted a treat, she perked up and danced around like always...is resting on the floor right now like normal. So her behavior is the same as always.

Well, here's the thing...while getting ready for my first apt today...I was in the bathroom and she and our other dog were in the family room...I heard some thing going on (the kind of barking or something like a little fight or disagreement) and yelled at them and came in the room, of course I couldn't tell what had happened. We have 2 other dogs that were outside at the time, my male dog who was inside often makes a commotion at them sometimes through the glass door..this sounded to me like what he was doing. But now, I'm wondering if the two dogs inside could have gotten into a little incident and she got bit and the swelling was a result later on. Although I can't find a cut or anything to prove it.

I called the vet's office...they said what I was describing sounded like a tooth abcess....which I definitely don't think so. Wouldnt she be acting like her mouth was bothering her or something? Or her gums or something would be swollen or something? She's acting fine. But they want me to bring her in anyways tomorrow morning for a check up. Well, $$ is EXTREMELY tight here...we are expecting a baby soon and my hubby is working his butt off...we (like most people) can't just spend unnecessary money. So I really don't want to take her into the vet's office if it's not necessary.

What do you think? And if it was a little bite or something from a querl w/the other dog...should I put anything on her cheek or just leave it alone??

Sounds like they might have just gotten into a little tiff. Just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get infected. Anything you put on that area is just going to get licked off, so don't bother.

It is possible that she could have an abcess. I can't tell since I can't see what you're looking at though. I would just wait and see for a couple days as long as it doesn't get worse.

A tooth abcess was my first guess but I don't know that much about dog teeth and it depends on the location. You were not specific enough to know if the location is right. It would have to be right above a tooth. You would not likely notice anything inside her mouth but she would have serious issues chewing and dislike pressure on the tooth that was affected.

If it's hot and swollen it's likely infected. Bite wounds don't just swell up hard and produce heat for no reason. If it wasn't infected you might see a slight bump over a puncture wound with no noticeable heat. Swollen and hot nearly always means infection. If she acts normal otherwise and not noticeably in pain or overly sensitive when you push on the lump then I might wait a couple days to see if it goes down. That's really a judgement call though and hard to say without seeing it myself. If it gets bigger or she acts like she's in pain then it needs to be looked at asap.

is it possible that the dog got stung by a bee or another bitting bug? the "tiff" that you heard could have been from the dog being stung. A sting swells up immediatly and it can feel warm to the touch. you need to get her in to see the vet if it goes on for more than 24 hours though.

I would think a bee sting would keep swelling after it was noticed unless she didn't see it for many hours.

Well, this morning I woke up and the swelling and everything were gone...she looks and acts completely normal...so whatever it was, guess it wasn't that serious! But thank you for your replies!!

Back
Top Bottom