Dog bite. Vet closed. What to do?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Sep 1, 2008.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Pooh got into the backyard with the dogs and they chased her back throgh the fence. In the process one of them grabbed her by the leg. They pulled out handfuls of feathers. She promptly went and hid in the woods. I finally just coaxed her out. She's walking with a limp, but still moving. I wsa able to catch her and sit down with her. With a little calming she let me look.
    Best I can tell (and I'm not totally up on my chicken anatomy), there is a gash in her side right above the top of her leg. It looks like the skin has just been peeled back. There's some blood there, but she's not gushing blood. You can't see the blood unless you move her wing and side feathers aside. Again, as best I can tell, it looks like a triangle of skin has been peeled back, maybe an inch on each side.

It's almost 7pm here and it's a holiday. I can't get ahold of my vet. What do I do to hold her to morning? I put her back in the run and she's hunkered down in my lawn chair. I'm not sure I can clean it by myself without stressing her out. I'm here alone.

What do I do?
    [​IMG]

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Don't put her back in the run because the others will pick at it. Give her some water with a little sugar in it unless you have some Pedalite (not grape flavored) on hand.
    Scramble her some eggs and make sure she eats them. Are you able to bring her in the house and put her someplace cool? Do whatever you can to keep her calm and comfortable.

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Try to cleanse it if at all possible - 9 parts water to one part betadine is what a vet told me. Then apply topical neosporin. Keep your feathered friend in a quiet calm place - not too cold, not too hot. And give a bit of electrolytes for the stress. If you have or can get ahold of Rescue Remedy, a little of that mixed with water and droppered along her beak line so she swallows of her own accord - it is often given for stress.
    Debating this because you mentioned bleeding but if you're sure she is not having internal bleeding and if the external bleeding has stopped, you can mix a bit of aspirin in her water to give some pain relief. The dose usually on BYC is FIVE 326 mg aspirin (no substitutes) crushed in one gallon of water. You could lower the dose to be extra cautious - maybe 1 aspirin in a half gallon or a 1/2 baby aspirin per cup of water.
    Hope she'll be alright.
    JJ

4. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Ackkk! She's in the coop with the others right now. Actually she's up in her favorite roost spot (on the door edge) with her buddy Mattie. So clearly she can still fly. It's about 5' up.

Will it stress her more to bring her in the house if the dogs are in here? They sleep inside at night. There is also a cat in here. I have a large crate I could use for her outside in the run so the others can't reach her. Or is it better to let her continue roosting where she is? She seems content. I don't want to freak her out any more than she was earlier.

I don't have betadine. I have hydrogen peroxide. If I dilute that will it work and not burn? She flinched when I was pulling feather debris out of it before. I worry about trying to touch the area with neosporin.

How do I know if there is internal bleeding? [​IMG]
    Is it better to just go ahead and give her the aspirin?

What do I do?!!

5. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    5 feet - wow! Mine sleep less than 2 feet off the ground.

Anywho...

If she's already asleep, maybe let her be for now unless easy to grab her sleepy self and put her in the crate in the same room she sleeps in (if you can't keep her well away from dogs indoors). If you don't do this tonight, try to get out there early a.m. to intercept her before anybody picks at her - and ideally before she tries to jump down - you can put her in the crate then and let her stay near her friend.

She will likely need the neosporin pronto. If the wounds turn out to be deep she may well also need internal antibiotics, but certainly at least the neosporin. Hydrogen peroxide - I don't use it. Some do. It can cause tissue damage.

Internal bleeding can be tough to assess. If there's any blood in stool, that's a sign of trouble, but it won't always be that obvious. If I have a bird that's been injured and seems okay other than the injury I am treating externally - eats, drinks, poops normally, bright eyed, good comb color - then I make the judgement call that a bit of aspirin is likely okay. Especially if they are hurting and need some pain relief so they don't get too depressed and/or stop eating because of pain. I know this still doesn't make it easy for you to be sure. Since you're contacting the vet in the morning, he/she can help you make that call if you're not yet decided.

Shock is her worst enemy in the hours after an attack - hence the usefulness of electrolytes, Rescue Remedy...

Hope she'll be alright...
    JJ

JJ

6. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Yeah, she and Mattie have taken to sleeping on the door edge at night. The run is completely enclosed so I don't worry about them out there. I guess it's cooler than being in the coop.

Is it better to have her out in the run with the others or isolated? I can put a crate in there so the others won't pick at her. I have two crate options. One is a plastic mostly enclosed crate and one is a wire dog kennel. Is enclosed better or open so she can see her friends and get the breeze?
    I can also move her to my enclosed back porch. It has an air vent so it's some cooler than outside, though not much. She would be well away from the others though so it might freak her out.

I have some gatorade. Will that work for electrolytes if I dilute it? Should I wash the area with water maybe? The peroxide can damage tissue I think. I'll hold off on the aspirin until the vet okays us. She was acting okay, but I don't really know.

Thanks for the help. This is my first traumatic injury!

7. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Quote:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  8. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Okay... she's crated, which did not make her happy, I might add. She has water with a bit of gatorade in it and food mixed with a little scratch to get her interested.

I rinsed the area with water (also did not make her happy) and tried to add neosporin. Neosporin is goopy and does not like to spread. Hopefully what I got on will help. I will get her to the vet tomorrow and see if they can stitch her back up. If I can get her stitched up hopefully she'll be okay. I'm worried about the stress of it all. I guess we'll see if she makes it to morning. She's one of my favorites...

[​IMG]

9. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I totally understand your anxiety! And hers.....
    Hoping today will bring good news.
    JJ

If she's not drinking on her own, you need to dribble the electroltye water gently and slowly along her beak line so she can swallow on her own..
    She may forgive you if you offer her a scrambled egg - make without grease or just use a little vegetable oil......

10. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    She is still with us this morning! She's moving around in the crate and she's pooped at least once. The others are very intrigued and keep staring into the crate to see what's up.

Good idea on the scrambled egg. I'll go do that right now. I'll try the water too. I have to go to work this morning, but then we are off to the vet after that. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again for your help. I'll post more tonight and update you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by