Dog bite

lindylou47

Chirping
7 Years
May 26, 2012
Wa.
My chicken verna was bitten by a dog 3days ago. She had some very bad ripping on her side, but no bleeding. The wound was pretty deep. We took her in and talked to her till she was out of shock. We put some blukote on the wound. She was up shortly after, she’s eating well, and drinking her water. She walks around and actually acts like her old self. We have been putting blukote on for 3days, but my problem is we have started to notice a bad odor when we treat her, what I’d like to know is if this means the wound is infected, and what we can do for her if it is. Would appreciate any opinions. Thanks, Linda

It sounds infected. BluKote is only for scrapes and minor wounds. For a deep wound, I would use betadine, chlorhexidene (Hibiclens,) or saline or Dawn and water to clean the wound. Vetericyn Wound Spray is very good as well. Then apply plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day. Leave it open, no dressing. Separate her from the other chickens until it heals some. Then you may try the BluKote again once there is wound closure and a good scab.

Can you get a picture of the wound? Is there any pus or drainage? Until the bad odor goes away I would clean it twice a day.

Last edited:
Because of leverage and the way a dog’s jaws are made and the placement of their canine teeth, there is often an “anchor hole” that corresponds the the upper gash somewhere on the underneath of the bird.

Please make sure that you look closely to be sure you aren’t missing a second, festering wound.

4F14966B-F8C5-48D4-A11E-E923668C11D2.jpeg
It sounds infected. BluKote is only for scrapes and minor wounds. For a deep wound, I would use betadine, chlorhexidene, or saline or Dawn and water to clean the wound. Vetericyn Wound Spray is very good as well. Then apply plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day. Leave it open, no dressing. Separate her from the other chickens until it heals some. Then you may try the BluKote again once there is wound closure and a good scab.

Can you get a picture of the wound? Is there any pus or drainage? Until the bad odor goes away I would clean it twice a day.

IMHO , if it has a bad odor I would debride the wound under warm running water (such as with a sink sprayer).
The blukote might be hiding some infection. Then I’d clean well with an antimicrobial such as hibiclens, trim away feathers that could be contaminating the area and slather with antibiotic ointment.

You can find chlorhexidene (Hibiclens) or Betadine (povidone iodine) in the first aid aisle of WalMart and other stores. Equate First Aid Antiseptic is WM’s brand of betadine.

My chicken verna was bitten by a dog 3days ago. She had some very bad ripping on her side, but no bleeding. The wound was pretty deep. We took her in and talked to her till she was out of shock. We put some blukote on the wound. She was up shortly after, she’s eating well, and drinking her water. She walks around and actually acts like her old self. We have been putting blukote on for 3days, but my problem is we have started to notice a bad odor when we treat her, what I’d like to know is if this means the wound is infected, and what we can do for her if it is. Would appreciate any opinions. Thanks, Linda
IMHO , if it has a bad odor I would debride the wound under warm running water (such as with a sink sprayer).
The blukote might be hiding some infection. Then I’d clean well with an antimicrobial such as hibiclens, trim away feathers that could be contaminating the area and slather with antibiotic ointment.

I agree, flush the wound well and debride it. Trim away the feathers, pat dry and apply your triple antibiotic ointment. While you are flushing the wound, check to make sure there are no other wounds that may be hidden.

I am in the camp, that if a wound has started to smell, you administer antibiotics as well. Flushing and debriding may be all that is needed, but personally, I would use antibiotics too. If you have a feed store like Tractor Supply, likely they carry Procaine Penicillin G in the refrigerated section. Get some of that along with syringes and 20 gauge needles. Dosage is .25ml injected into the breast muscle, 1/4" deep for 4 days. Alternate sides daily.

Back
Top Bottom