Dog bite

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kurzplot, Jun 19, 2011.

1. kurzplot

kurzplot New Egg

Mar 27, 2011
    Our chicken was attacked and bit by a small dog. The abrasion is about 2 inches long and 1 inch wide. The feathers in this her hind area are ripped out and there are two small bites that look like divots. We flushed and washed the area with warm soapy water and rinsed with clean water per emergency vet advice.
    We are going to keep her in a separate pen with clean wood chips food and water.

Is there anything else we need to be doing except for watching for infection?

2. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    perhaps a warm blanet and some peace and quiet. Some vitamins in the water and perhaps some antibiotic ointment on the wounds. Be very vigilant for signs of infection, such as swelling, redness in the skin, skin being hot to the touch, or oozing pus. gross i know but keep her clean and hope for the best. Maybe she'd like to watch a movie with you or something. :)

3. kurzplot

kurzplot New Egg

Mar 27, 2011
    Thank you for the advice. The funny part is that I've been carrying her around in a blanket. She's actually doing pretty well. The only thing I didn't do was the ointment, but I think I will. I was a nurse, so I am familiar with symptoms of infection. I can't help but be worried about my poor girl though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by