Dog booties for GSDs - a rant!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gritsar, Feb 6, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Our snow season has suddenly turned into mud season.

I let the dogs out for a bit and not thinking clearly, let them back in the kitchen door. If I had let them back in through the front door they would have "wiped their feet" walking across the porch.

Muddy paw prints across the CLEAN kitchen floor, across the foyer, into my bedroom and then....just for the heck of it, Kane decided to chase the cat across my bed that is currently covered in white blanket! [​IMG]

I'm sitting here wondering how hard it would be to put little rubber doggie booties on a 110 lb. dog..and how hard it would be to get them back off him again. [​IMG]

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Oh don't ya just hate when that happens!! Fortunatly for me mine are small dogs so their paw prints aren't that big!! [​IMG]

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    As proof that he's a true redneck (and a man) DH came running into the bedroom when I screamed and suggested that I let the mud on the blanket dry and then brush it off. [​IMG]

It IS on his side of the bed, so..... [​IMG]

4. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Wait - maybe I'm not ready for spring....

5. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

They DO make them so guide dogs don't burn their feet on the salt in the snow or the hot pavement in summer- one guide I knew ate them off at any opportunity.

It CAN be done tho-

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:When you have two they have help destroying things. I had a stuffed raccoon that I bought for a chick that no longer needs it. I gave it to the dogs last night just for the heck of it. DH timed it. The coon lasted 4.5 minutes. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  7. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

well depends on if yours like bitter apple or hate it-

We trained a coon hound to come into the 'mud room' (back porch) to stand in a little water bucket (the pink ones that hospitals use) two feet at a time (a treat each set) and then stand on a twole (for another treat)

Clean feet

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

My sister has some dogs that are trained to stand at the back door, on a mat, while they get their feet wiped one at a time. I'm sure I could teach the boys the same thing, just been lazy.

BTW, the boys don't chew things otherwise. Only things we give them that they perceive to be toys.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  9. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    LOL, my uncle has dog booties for his dog and we always joke about them!

Our dog reminds US when the weather is bad. He'll come in and wait by the door until one of us wipes his feet off. During the winter it was raining and we didn't realize it. We let him out and let him back in again. It wasn't until one of us asked where is Dalton that we realized he was still standing by the door. LOL!

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Yup..was just thinking that...
    Ugh..its gonna be nasty here... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by