Dog breed recommendation for farm

calmeter

Songster
6 Years
Mar 28, 2017
Hi there,

I live in Central Florida and I live on 24 acres. I have several chickens and two ducks who free range during the daytime. Recently a stray dog came into the yard and chased the chickens and ducks resulting in a duck with a lame foot and a rooster with no tail and a broken, bloody spur. I've been tending to the duck and she is getting better and able to walk on it now. Two days in a row I've had a bob cat lurking around and also a bear. I do have a large dog, but he is 8 years old and now that it's getting hot wants to be in the house.

I'm thinking of getting another dog who would be an outdoor dog and am looking for recommendations. I looked into dog breeds to protect from bears and one that I have read about is the Anatolian Shepherd. Other breeds I am reading about are Great Pyrenees and similar breeds. However, I'm wondering about the Florida heat and some of the breeds have very thick coats. Also, I'm wondering if I would be more successful training a dog as a puppy verses adopting one already full grown.

If anyone has had success with a particular breed, please let me know. Rottweiler? Doberman? Pit Bull? How about small breeds to act as a deterrent, like a Jack Russell?

I would get an LGD (not just any large or small dog breed) in your case, if you're wanting to protect your animals. 4 years ago, our flock was steadily dwindling from hawks, foxes, raccoons etc - we had them free range and didn't want to have to keep them locked up all the time.
We researched the different breeds of LGDs, and decided NOT to get a GP as they were known to be fence jumpers.
We found an 8 month old Anatolian Shepherd and drove 4 hours one way (the owner met us 2 hours from her home) to get her, plus a couple goats for company. She was shy but very sweet, and had been raised with chickens, goats and other fowl her whole life.
The first year with her was a huge learning curve, she killed about a half dozen of our chickens in that time and chased others constantly. Because of that, we had to keep her tethered (instead of roaming the 2-3 acre pasture) during the day when we weren't around unfortunately. But once she turned 2 years old, something in her just snapped and she stopped bothering the chickens. She is an AMAZING dog, and we have not lost one chicken or goat (besides the brats that fly over the fence) while under her care.
She also knows that if we enter her pasture with any strangers that they are friends and she will love on them, too.

Just know, if you do decide to get a puppy/younger dog, it will not be ready to fully protect the fowl until at least 1 - 2 years of age. You and them will have a lot to learn. It would be best to buy from reputable breeders who care about what they do, and will always be willing to answer any questions you have. Good luck!

Rotties are a bad choice. Not because of temperament - the vast majority are big lapdogs who just want to love on their people. But because it's hot there, and as a black-coated breed, they're going to be much happier inside in front of the AC instead of outside broiling. They're extremely people-oriented and want to be part of the family, not left outside.

I would think a Jack Russel, as a terrier breed, wouldn't be a good choice. Too many squeaky chewtoys walking around.

Have you looked into Karelian Bear Dogs? I'm not familiar with the breed, so it would require quite a bit more research before having one around livestock.

http://www.bearsmart.com/managing-bears/non-lethal/bear-dogs/

I know my Aussie mix and my Border Collie mix couldn't care less about my chicks, except that they seem like they're almost scared of them. Tiny ferocious things who want to snuggle in their fur! My Aussie only chases crows and ravens, but the Border Collie is extremely territorial.

Spanish Mastiffs, Anatolians, Akbash dogs and Kangals are the LGDs that are often talked about for hot weather conditions. Non-LGD herding breeds (aussies, BCs, etc.) are typically considered poor choices - apparently some people get lucky with non LGD breeds but your odds of success go way down.

HOWEVER - I do suggest reading up on LGDs first. Most serious LGD people recommend fully fenced areas for the LGDs since they will roam if not fenced in - putting up a fence that will keep your LGD in will probably keep roaming dogs out. They also require care and training and should come from a reputable source.

There has been some backlash about LGD abuse - you might want to start here (lots of other information on this blog too):
http://spanishmastiff.blogspot.com/2015/09/lgd-abuse-and-forsaken-guardian-dogs.html
http://spanishmastiff.blogspot.com/2017/12/livestock-guardian-dog-owners-new-year.html

Caveat - I don't have an LGD and never have. I've just been on dog forums where the topic has come up multiple times and am regurgitating info.

I have first hand experience with LGD's, general farm dogs, and hunting dogs used to protect chickens directly or indirectly. If setup is small (less than 20 acres) fencing is beneficial for all dogs. Some of the heavier LGD's have issue with heat that conflicts with particulars of protecting chicken flocks that do not stay together like sheep and goats. Dogs may need to be active during heat of day and do not have luxury of protecting stock to large for predator to just pack off beyond fence perimeter.

So are you looking for something that will be with the chickens or something to guard at night?

I have met one of the following dogs and I fell in love with him. He was actually very good with dogs and kids too. My GSD who is very picky about playmates fell in love with him and they hung out for hours. They are hunters, not sure you can train them to be with the chickens, but a good one will take on a bear. They need land and a job

"The Karelian Bear Dog has a reserved but stable temperament and is very devoted to its master. Karelians have strong hunting instincts. They are normally aggressive with other dogs, particularly in their own territory, so they do not work well in a pack. They are fearless and self confident, and will attack bear and other large game without hesitation. Their senses, particularly the sense of smell, are very keen. They are never aggressive towards people."

"The Karelian Bear Dog is not recommended for apartment life. It should have acreage or a farm so it can run. These animals do not like to be confined. They can be kept in an outdoor kennel as long as they get plenty of chances to run."

Last edited:
Hi there,

I live in Central Florida and I live on 24 acres. I have several chickens and two ducks who free range during the daytime. Recently a stray dog came into the yard and chased the chickens and ducks resulting in a duck with a lame foot and a rooster with no tail and a broken, bloody spur. I've been tending to the duck and she is getting better and able to walk on it now. Two days in a row I've had a bob cat lurking around and also a bear. I do have a large dog, but he is 8 years old and now that it's getting hot wants to be in the house.

I'm thinking of getting another dog who would be an outdoor dog and am looking for recommendations. I looked into dog breeds to protect from bears and one that I have read about is the Anatolian Shepherd. Other breeds I am reading about are Great Pyrenees and similar breeds. However, I'm wondering about the Florida heat and some of the breeds have very thick coats. Also, I'm wondering if I would be more successful training a dog as a puppy verses adopting one already full grown.

If anyone has had success with a particular breed, please let me know. Rottweiler? Doberman? Pit Bull? How about small breeds to act as a deterrent, like a Jack Russell?
I've had Shepards and Collies while raising birds.
Both were good yard dogs and protective.
Here was a difference though. The Collie would protect the property as a whole and his attention was spent on us.
The Shepard by contrast protected the property as a habit but took a personal task of protecting those in his charge, including the cats and the birds. His gentle attention to chicks and kittens was somethingg to witness, often nudging the babies in the proper direction.
Neither was an outdoor dog which worked against me recently.....
My chickens had become so accustomed and familiar with the dog their alarms came late when a neighborhood dog showed up and was able to kill my juvenile Brahma rooster before they realized it was the wrong dog.
Of course the dog and I went to work immediately and saved the rest of the flock. But it was at the cost of a hand raised rooster.
You don't live far from me (Okeechobee) where we have several types of predator. At 20+ acres you may want to consider the Shepard as they instinctively patrol the property where a Collie will wait until trouble comes.

Last edited:
I've had Shepards and Collies while raising birds.
Both were good yard dogs and protective.
Here was a difference though. The Collie would protect the property as a whole and his attention was spent on us.
The Shepard by contrast protected the property as a habit but took a personal task of protecting those in his charge, including the cats and the birds. His gentle attention to chicks and kittens was somethingg to witness, often nudging the babies in the proper direction.
Neither was an outdoor dog which worked against me recently.....
My chickens had become so accustomed and familiar with the dog their alarms came late when a neighborhood dog showed up and was able to kill my juvenile Brahma rooster before they realized it was the wrong dog.
Of course the dog and I went to work immediately and saved the rest of the flock. But it was at the cost of a hand raised rooster.
You don't live far from me (Okeechobee) where we have several types of predator. At 20+ acres you may want to consider the Shepard as they instinctively patrol the property where a Collie will wait until trouble comes.

I have to agree with Shepherds patrolling the property.

Mine do it all the time

image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom