Dog Breeders of BYC~A Few Quick Questions~Parent Pics pg 2

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by The Wolf Queen, Nov 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Ok so my chihuahua female went into heat a day or 2 ago, I think, and im attempting to breed her to my stud(They live together 24/7 anyway and are really close [​IMG]). Im not sure if they've been succesful or have tied yet, but im hoping she will within the next three weeks (male has no trouble mounting my female either), anyways my quick question/s are

1. If she does get prego how far into the gestation period will she start to get a puppy bump?
    2. If she is succefully inpregnated will her cycle stop?
    These are sorta amature questions I know, but this is my 1rst time breeding so im curious. Also as we go along I will probably be adding a few more questions [​IMG]. Thanks everyone.

ETA: She isnt a maiden dog. She had a litter of two before I got her, but as far as I know my stud is still a virgen lol.

Also please do not point out that there are plenty of animals in shelters in stuff and that dogs live longer healthier lives when fixed. Im well aware of this and the only reason for this litter is to get pups that look like and are sired by my stud.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  3. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    If memory serves, a dog has about a three week heat cycle. She is attractive to males the entire three weeks. However, she is receptive to mating only during the second week. Whether she is impregnated or not has nothing to do with the length of the cycle. When she is receptive to mating, the vulva will soften and the discharge will be straw colored rather than red or pink.

4. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    Quote:perfect answer..also as far as the "puppy bump" it depends on the dog,how many pups,..most times an experienced breeder can tell around 30 days along,,you probably wont be able to tell that early,but then again some first time females get large early in the pregnancy..but then again if she only has 1-2 you may not be able to tell until she bags up.just feed her good puppy food starting about 30 days in,I supplement all my dogs with lots of raw chicken and turkey and eggs.I feed Loyal dog food made by nutrena,am very happy with it.

5. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    If I remember correctly you could have her xrayed on day 45 or beyond, to see how many and a general idea of sizes.

6. mekasmom

mekasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    I have had many chihuahua litters with only one section needed. A few have needed to see the vet for a shot when labor slowed, but only one section. They usually have them just fine by themselves.

She is in heat 3wks. She will mate when she is ready. You can see a pregnancy around six weeks, and feel kicks around 7.5-8 wks. You should have an x-ray a couple of days before she is due to check the number of puppies and size.

Congratulations on your upcoming babies.

7. The Wolf Queen

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    OK thanks for the great answers everyone. So if she gets prego her cycle will turn yellow like straw? Hmm I had friend, who used to breed labs, tell me that her cycle will turn from red to pink. Im confuzled on this question. Help please. Thanks again

8. tharrell

tharrell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Quote:1. With chihuahuas they can hide their pregnancies a long time because they throw such small litters alot of the time. Usually by 6-7 weeks you should be able to tell something, and the vet can x-ray after 45 days.
    2. No, her cycle won't stop. She will bleed for a week, and when she stops bleeding she will stand for the male, and then go out of heat for a week.

Also, don't just let her and your male breed without being supervised. Alot of females don't like being bred, and will freak out and try to run away and they can seriously injure the male. Keep them separate and bring them together once a day until you see her standing and flagging for the male. If he has never bred before, you may have to help him. Seeing as you are breeding chis, your male should be quite a bit smaller than your female, and you may even have to raise him up so he can breed her. If he is larger, don't breed this male to your female because the birth will more than likely result in a section. If they do successfully breed, bring him back to her no more frequently than every 48 hours. This allows his sperm enough time to build back up. The WORST thing you can do is just let them run together and breed whenever. Make sure over the next 9 weeks you read everything you can, and talk to everyone you can. Chihuahuas CAN NOT be left alone to whelp. They are known for having alot of whelping problem. Learn how to help with a whelp that is stuck, and how to resucitate a puppy. If you do not feel comfortable, make sure your mentor is present for the birth. (You do have a mentor, right?) Also, know when to call it quits and rush her to the vet! Statistically over 30% of puppies die before the age of 8 weeks so with a breed that throws such tiny litters be prepared to lose atleast one puppy. You can help your odds if you learn the sign of fading puppy sydrome, and jump on it the second you see something. Just remember there is so much more than just putting them together. If you can commit yourself 100% to this litter, I wish you the best of luck! But just please remember, especially with toy dogs, many things can and often do go terribly wrong.

9. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    No. When she is ready to except the male and get pregnant her discharge will often turn from red to yellowish clearish. But like your friend the lab breeder says its a gradual progression from red to pink to yellowy clear.

10. The Wolf Queen

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    tharrell, my female gets along fine with the male and has started to hold still, if not she just jumps away and starts to play with him, when im not home they are in a crate for large dogs so there is space but not too much, oh and I have two friends that have both been breeding Chihuahuas for years, and there is always my friend who bred labs. Im 100% commited and the only problem I see right now when im there is that my male will mount the female but doesnt seem to be able to have an erection, but only God knows what happens when im not there so...yeah.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by