dog breeding

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by domino7, Apr 26, 2009.

1. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I see so many people breeding their dog every year, then letting the puppies go at 6 weeks. It's widely accepted that puppies should be with their mom for at least 8 weeks, and females only bred every 2 years. I used to think it was ok to breed if you knew you had homes for every puppy, but have changed my attitude about this. In this country alone, at least 4 MILLION dogs are put down every year because they are not wanted. Clearly, this could easily be stopped. Don't breed dogs. Spay and neuter.

2. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Now there are 2 sides to this....
    I would rather get a dog from a good breeder than a bad one...
    http://animal.discovery.com/tv/animal-cops/philadelphia/puppy-mills-exposed/index.html
    All 3 of my dogs are fixed....
    I had to get a specific breed type wich is LGD....that took me buying from a breeder...I could have rescued from a pound and not sure if i would get pure LGD or a rescue group who wants me to preform miracles for a dog who cant be outside more than 4 hours...

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  3. domino7

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I realize that there are at least 2 sides to this. Heck, I got my dogs from breeders and have bred dogs. It's just in the last couple years that I have rethought this. I know we are pretty spoiled, and we want what we want when we want it. It just makes me so sad to think of all the dogs that have to be killed so we can have it. Besides the dogs, imagine how many people are affected by this. I don't see how people who have to routinely kill unwanted pets can be very happy, or fun to live with. I'm not suggesting it shouldn't be done, but it's sad that we just accept it as a society, and let it go on endlessly.

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Can someone get me some more butter?..... [​IMG]

5. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    Quote:Sorry I have the low fat no butter kind. This diet is killing me. Could you pass the salt though.

[​IMG]

6. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Quote:How about rescues loosen their requirements just a tad?

I would have loved to adopt from a breed rescue. I would have taken half Pyr/half some other livestock-working dog, too. I tried several rescues, but their bottom line was that if the dog was not going to be a 100% indoor pet with absolutely nothing to do, not even training to collect working titles, not even to pull a cart in a parade, then no way were they going to allow me to adopt one.

I realize that they get many crackpots, loonies and people who are simply not ready for the breed requirements, but...come ON. Do I absolutely need to have a fence right up against the house if I'm going to walk the dog out to a fully-fenced orchard to run off-leash three times daily, plus two on-leash walks early morning and late at night? That's what disqualified me in the eyes of the local GSD rescue. The local Saint Bernard rescue forbids that any of their dogs get carting titles, even if they have AKC papers that qualify them for carting trials. The local Great Pyrenees rescue took so long to return my phone calls and respond to my emails that I thought they had disqualified me for some other reason--two months after dropping application after application into an apparent black hole of doom, long after I had given up and found a breeder with puppies available, the rescue lady called me to ask when she could do a home visit to see if I was qualified. She couldn't at least email me back with the reason for the delay? I would have understood, and waited.

In marked contrast, I have had none of these issues with the local cat rescue, not even the no-kill crazy cat lady type. I put in the application, they call my vet, vet tells them I'm cool, I visit with them, one week later I'm a proud new cat-parent. Just like that. And the lady who runs the local cat rescue has a busy day job as a nurse and teaches piano on weekends--yet somehow she gets it all done. So, I believe it CAN be done. I just wish people would get their acts together and do it.

I agree with you 100% that it would be ever so nice if people would adopt pets, considering that there are far, far more critters than have homes, many of them poorly bred with awful genetic problems. Hey, it would be great if more people would consider adopting humans, as well--there's plenty of kids without homes. But there are huge logistical and emotional issues to overcome in both cases. Weirdly, they tend to be real similar...

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    In the state of Va. a mammal may be sold or given away at the age of 7 weeks.

This is printed in the materials for NPIP cert.

8. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    All dogs (and cats) should be spayed & neutered.

I know there are responsible breeders out there who are actively trying to improve the breed they care about and are particular about which homes their pups go to. These type of breeders, I respect. The ones who care for the pups and raise them w/the family, they don't over breed the female and are concerned about the characteristics of the dogs they produce. These people I applaud, whether they are registered or not. IMO, people should not be breeding their dog, just to make extra money!

I detest the people who have pups to give away because their dog got bred....again. Including all the hundreds of "free kittens" in the paper each month.

Take a look on Petfinder or any other web site and you will see just how many pure breeds and mutts are in the shelters awaiting forever homes. I also think some shelters & rescues go overboard when reviewing applications. Like the previous poster said, adopting a pyr to an inside only home is quite silly...especially when the dog will be more content in a loving home being able to do what he was bred to do. I have had very good experiences with the Humane Soc that I support. They adopt dogs to forever homes, based on the needs/personality of that dog....not "inside only homes" or "yards with fences".

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  9. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Funny yall brought that up. I know you are supposed to read the rules when you use a website but I just didnt do it at Craigslist. I offered "Rowdy" the rottweiler up for stud service on Craigslist. He is registered and I have the papers. I listed his parents and the registration numbers as well for history.

Craigslist kicked the post off. The rules cleary state that no stud service is to be offered. I didnt read the rules and it is my fault.

However, I keep hearing how Craigslist is like the biggest clearing house (I wouldnt know) for prostitution. Is the irony lost on everybody but me?

10. domino7

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I know there isn't an easy fix, and I don't have a solution that all would agree with. It's just been on my mind lately. Yes, it seems like it should be much easier to adopt a dog. I tried several years ago, and was turned down for not having proper fencing. Believe me, I wasn't trying to call anybody out lol, but I think most people would agree that it's a sad situation. I wish I had an answer. I know what I would do if I was king for a day, but it wouldn't be popular. In my life I've realized that doing what's right very seldom is. Oh well, I was just rambling. Thanks for listening.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by