1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dog breeding

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Mahonri, Nov 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    So my kids talked their mother into letting their friends pure bred and papered Golden Retriever male come over to visit our purebred AKC registered female that is in heat.

How long does it take them to make a connection and what are the chances nothing will happen. [​IMG]

Our girl is on the small side, he is HUGE! I thought our girl was RED until I saw him. He almost looks like an Irish Setter he is SO VERY RED.

Looking at the two of them, they would make some GORGEOUS pups. but....

The thought of puppies scares me. I guess we would keep one of the little males, give the stud family the pic of the litter and then my kids seem to think they'll be able to sell the rest.

I'm not happy that my wife gave in to my kids.

Any advise would be appreciated.

2. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    How long has she been in heat?

I've done breedings starting day 9, but most about day 13 or 14.

I made sure I get 3 good ties, one every other day.

Then you're looking at 63 day gestation with 59 - 65 not being unusual.

8 week until they can be placed in their new homes and about 3 of those weaning and eatting puppy food.

Worming, I start at 3 weeks and worm every 3 weeks, I also start shots then too.

I lost a whole litter tp Parvo once because I didn't have time between work and chasing kids to order them myself. 9 Pups were exposed at the Vet's office. I couldn't save any of them.

Sub Q vaccines are easy to give. I use whatever is comparable to Fort Dodge Puppy Shots.

You also want to start watching each one for signs of temperment differences. It helps so much with puppy placement.

Let you females know, the best time to breed is when they have been OFA's or PennHip certified, and you already have a list of potential buyers.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Be glad it is only temporarily and after that, get her fixed! [​IMG]

My parents raised show collies, had over four to six litters in the 5 year span before we decided not to breed anymore. Its alot of work to raise pups until they are eight weeks of age but we dont let them go until they are 10 to 12 weeks of age to make sure they are developing, eating and had some housebreaking and socialization skills going on.

Again, be glad it is going to be a short time LOL!

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Quote:X2... to most of that anyway. [​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have no idea how long she's been in heat, she's just been howling at the moon for the past few nights. :0)

She spends a lot of time smelling his male part and rubbing up against him. He seems scared of her and he's twice her size.

His name is "Bear" and he looks like a big red grizzly!... But he has such a wonderful, loving temperament.

I've only seem him smell her parts once and then he didn't seem interested.... but they've only been together for a couple of hours.

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

If she is rubbing on him she is probably ready... May take him a while to get the idea.

7. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    If nothing has happened yet, separate them before it's too late! You don't want to deal with puppies, you are not a dog breeder, the parents have not been tested, there is nothing "special" about them (showing, agility, herding ect.) besides their personality, and quite frankly, this planet does not need any more homeless dogs. Sorry to sound rude, I am honestly not trying to be, but this is the truth, and people need to realize that. We need to get the canine population under control before people breed their family pets.

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

How old is the female? If she is under 2, I would strongly advice not to breed her, for risks to her health. Plus you say she is small and he is huge, that could be asking for big problems. Before breeding I would strongly suggest at the very least getting both the male and female OFA certified hips, ideally the hips, elbows, heart and eyes should be done before the breeding. If one of the parents, or both do have hip problems or elbow problems they can be passed down to the puppies, which I am sure you would not want. What happens if you can't find homes for all the puppies? Are you willing to keep them all? Raising the puppies, vet care, etc. will not be cheap.

Personally, I think you should talk your wife into not breeding the dog and go get her fixed. Breeding the dog just so the kids can have the puppy experience isn't right, and from the sound of your post I don't think you really want to do this. Golden Retriever are prone to lots of genetic problems and without the genetic testing and OFA certifications done, you could be producing pups with lots of problems later on. I would never purchase a pup from anybody who doesn't get the elbows, hips, heart and eyes done. It took me over a year to finally pick a breeder when I was looking for a golden, and I read many horror stories of people who purchased puppies and the pups parents didn't have any testing done.

Just my 2cents.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  9. scrambledmess

scrambledmess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    they would make some GORGEOUS pups

Just curious as to what makes you think this? Do you have experience with this breed? Have you spoken with experienced breeders? Are you current on the breed standard? Have you ever been to a show with show dogs or been to a trial with working dogs of this breed? What are you going to do with the puppies? What if they don't sell? What if one or more of the puppies get sick? What if your dog can't deliver and ends up at the vet for a c-section?

Did you know listed on Petfinder.com there are nearly 3000 gold retrievers, most of which are purebred? This site only scratches the surface of all the animal shelters and rescue groups in the country.

Just a few thoughts and my own advise as "any advise" was asked for.​

10. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Quote:Just curious as to what makes you think this? Do you have experience with this breed? Have you spoken with experienced breeders? Are you current on the breed standard? Have you ever been to a show with show dogs or been to a trial with working dogs of this breed? What are you going to do with the puppies? What if they don't sell? What if one or more of the puppies get sick? What if your dog can't deliver and ends up at the vet for a c-section?

Did you know listed on Petfinder.com there are nearly 3000 gold retrievers, most of which are purebred? This site only scratches the surface of all the animal shelters and rescue groups in the country.

Just a few thoughts.

I could not have said it better myself. Have you ever seen the sad eyes of those dogs in the animal shelter? Who know that the end is coming. And yes, I have seen a purebreed golden retriever there. There is an animal shelter a few hours away from here that only keeps their dogs for 1 day, and ALL of the dogs I saw on Petfinder there were goldens and golden mixes. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by