Dog came out of brooder room licking her lips!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kvmommy, Nov 7, 2011.

1. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    So my dog who has never killed anything but does like to chase things came out of the brooder room looking very please and licking her chops. (my daughter left the door open) I literally almost had a heart attack. I thought for sure she ate the 3 silkie babies I just hatched out. I ran in...and all 3 were just hanging out! I was confused...then later I saw the door open again and my dogs head in the brooder box and the sound of lips smacking...this time i knew she was eating the chickies. I screamed and ran in...Hurley's head popped up looking guilty and her mouth covered in chick feed!! [​IMG] [​IMG] Then my daughter was holding one of the chicks and hurley came in just licked the baby and walked out. I think its official...I can trust my dog!

2. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    Sounds a lot like my little dog. She will get in the box and curl up next to them.

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i used to not have a problem with my dog but then she for some odd reason turned on my only hen. i would still be very wery of her around the chickens

edit: hen did not make it as she was eating it when i walked outside

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  4. johnsons-r-us

johnsons-r-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    All 3 of my dogs will eat chicken feed if they find it. Don't know why?? Of course the eat chicken poop too. [​IMG] I just feel great that they have no interest in eating the chickens! [​IMG] And none of them even better think of licking me! [​IMG]

5. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Quote:Ohhhh how awful!!! [​IMG] I will definitely keep an eye on her!!

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i also read that someones german who has never went after their chickens before did the same thing as mine [​IMG] i was so upset and sad and on top of that she was my lil girls fav chicken

7. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. pek

pek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2009
    Rhode Island
    one time we had six chicks all were very sick and one was missing i had seen the dog go into my room with something in his mouth my mom thought that he was going to eat it but he was just licking it trying to revive it.

9. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    My dogs will eat chicken feed. We used to have two dogs... finally had to give one away because she became so food obsessed that she killed one of my laying hens in a misunderstanding over garbage! [​IMG]

Her obsession started with her eating the chicken feed and then eventually stealing the eggs!! She'd managed to eat 75-lbs of the organic chicken feed before we managed to outsmart her. [​IMG] It was like crack cocaine to her! [​IMG] She'd get all bloated up and have diarrhea. [​IMG] Not fun when it ends up all over your carpets! [​IMG] Had to buy a carpet shampooer just to keep up with her. Not sure how many eggs she managed to steal and I'm still not sure how she managed to get into the coop like she did at times. Quite the Houdini getting in, she was... (not quite the Houdini getting back out tho'!)

Hubby had gathered eggs once for me in a bowl (there were over 20 eggs), set them on our front porch, forgot about them - guess who ate them all!?! [​IMG] Yep... she got sick that night. Very, very sick. Smelt like rotten eggs all throughout the house. [​IMG] [​IMG] Hubby had to clean it up.

Our other dog will eat the chicken feed and eggs, but he doesn't go to the extremes the one we got rid of did to access any of it and if I tell him to "leave it" he will - she wouldn't. So for being such a good boy and listening to us so well, I toss him an egg a day after I gather them up.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  10. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:It has corn in it and so does dog food. My Bordie collie/lab mix loves the babies, never leave him alone, but always let him kiss them when holding a chick. He freaks when one is in distress.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by