Dog Caught My Hen

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickbird, Jan 5, 2011.

1. chickbird

chickbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    I Received A Call Today From A Neighbor, Said They Saw A Dog Running Down The Street With One Of My Chickens, My Husband Went Out And The Next Door Neighbor's Dog Had One Of My Chickens In His Mouth. My Husband Got To Him With His Walking Stick And Let Him Have It And He Dropped The Chicken, The Chicken Is Still Alive, I Don't Know If It Will Make It. We Have Had This Dog At Least 3 Times Come Over After My Chickens And We Have Told These Folks Each Time And They Let It Continue To Happen. What Do You Think We Need To Do?????

2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    call animal control. in most places the owner of the dog is financially responsible for replacing your birds.

3. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    Quote:put a bullet between it's eye the second time it came around....

4. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Quote:Sue them into oblivion if you can.

The second time around here the dog would be garden fertilizer. That would happen on the first time if I saw it with a bird in its mouth.

5. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    Same thing happened to a hen I owned once. If the hen survives the shock, check her for wounds. gently clean the wounds with a little hydrogen peroxide and then put some antibiotic ointment on the wounds. Do this daily. Keep her in a nice quiet place until she heals. I also gave my hen some Baytril mixed in water for about five days (obtained from a Vet). DO NOT EVER SEW UP A WOUND. The Vet kept my hen overnight which enable her to get over the initial shock (which had caused her to pass out unconscious).

My neighbor who owned the dog that attacked my hen and run with her in its mouth paid the vet bill. My hen survived.

I also once had another hen survive a opossum attack. I heard a hen literally screaming in terror (like nothing else I'd heard). I grabbed my .22 rifle and went running outside. A Opossum was on the roost and had one of my big Buckeye hens by the head. Literally, the opossum had her entire head in his mouth. I yelled at the opossum which turned loose of her. The hen took off running in the dark, and I dropped the opossum with one shot. I thought the hen's eyes had been destroyed. her head was swollen and cut up badly. I cleaned her head with water and the blood off being careful around where her eyes were supposed to be & her nostrils so no hydrogen peroxide got in those. I isolated her for a few days. When the swelling went down slightly the next day, one of her eyes opened and she begin eating and drinking. She recovered and I still have that hen today (she is 5 years old).

A dog that has been over 3 times and the owners have not done anything to stop it . . . well, it is up to you to stop the dog.

6. chickortreat

chickortreat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Second the above . I won't sit by and watch ANYTHING harm my birds without burning gunpowder in an effort of threat elimination.

7. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:x2

8. moonlyghtegirl

moonlyghtegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Try electric fencing to deter the dog. Your municipality may or may not have leash laws. You need to call animal control and find out what the laws are concerning your poultry as well as leash laws. Free ranging has its perils, and this is one of them.

9. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    I had a neighbors dog stalking my chickens and the chickens alerted me of it. I saw it and scared it off. Later my Dad told me that no matter if it is wild or domestic, you can shoot it, if it is destroying your personal property!

So... The next time you see it, you can level it!

10. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

a good place to start would be to call animal control. They can also tell you what your options are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by