Dog caught

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Badhbh, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Well, we got the dog that killed my chickens. She was laid up in someone's yard, and jumped right in the back of the car. According to a neighbor, this same dog has killed a couple of cats (caught in the act) and also bit another neighbor's niece.
    SO I called animal control. I'm waiting to hear back from them. The neighbors of the dogs owner said that animal control has picked the dog up more than once, and they keep giving her back. Nice. The dog still had a feather on her from the chicken she killed this morning. I had two roosters that I couldn't put in the coop because they'd beat up everyone, so they were still outside after the prior attack. I knew there was a chance the dig would be back, and I was at peace with that.
    So what now? I can press charges against the neighbors. I don't want this dog returned to them. Especially since we now know that the dog has bitten a kid.

2. FlockEweFarm

FlockEweFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Flagstaff,AZ
    sss
    Animal control is ineffective, the animal has bitten a human, and you have the chance to spare anyone else harm.

3. chickmamawannabe

chickmamawannabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Canby, Or-y-gun
    What about the other dog? Weren't there two?

4. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    I read your earlier thread.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=83280

If it were me, I'd probably not bother wasting time, energy, money on those bozos (most places you'll get cost of chooks in small claims court). Check with the director of animal control after the holidays, he/she might know about the specific laws in your particular location) rather, I'd be using my energy working on Ft. Chook.

As a member of the Turkey Vulture Preservationist Society, you can guess where I'd donate the dog.

5. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I know here...legally if the animal has bitten a human they cant be put down until they have undergone a quarntine...i know the sss does not follow legal guidlines..(to each thier own i offer no opnion abut the sss) ...but i know if animal control is made aware of the bitting of a child they will take this more serious...make sure the parents of the child who got bit takes pictures of the bite and i know it may be a pain in the back side but get the child to go to the doctor and have it all documented...burry them in paperwork then they cant talk thier way out of the hot seat and may end up loosing the dog for good...

6. Badhbh

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Chickmama- there WERE two. There's only one now, and apparently these people only own one. So i'm not sure where the other one went.
    Believe me, I want to shoot, and drop the dog on the owners porch. The dog has been a menace for longer than i'd known about. 19 assorted poultry, at least 2 cats, and one kid? Yeah, needs to be put down. The family with the bitten kid didn't document it or report it, so I think i'm out on that one,

7. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    I don't know anymore but in Il. it's 3 strikes your out. If dog has 3 reports, it's put to sleep.

So it's a matter of reporting...

me,
    g

8. lleighmay

lleighmay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Please don't dispose of the dog without contacting the authorities (animal control, health department, anyone else who will listen). In my area the Sheriff's Department is the go-to agency for animal control emergencies (which as far as I'm concerned it certainly is since a child was bitten) and they will have AC come out for dog bites. They can either quarantine the dog or put it down and immediately have it tested for rabies. If you dispose of the dog quietly the child will have to undergo painful (and expensive) rabies shots as a precaution because they won't have a way to tell if the dog was negative or positive. Even though the family of the little girl didn't initially report it the health dept. can track her down through the neighbor/relative (and should for her safety). Rabies is rampant here in SW VA and a neighbor down the road and his wife are being treated for rabies after being attacked by one of their own dogs which tested positive. All their other dogs had to be put down too because their idiot (dog lover yeah right) owners never bothered to get $5.00 rabies vaccines for any of their dogs. Just as a precaution I would limit your (and your family's and pets') exposure to the dog as much as possible until someone picks it up. Sorry if I seem preachy about this but dangerous dogs and rabies are a definite concern of mine.
    Leigh

9. Badhbh

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Not preachy at all. I want to go through AC, and i'm trying to. What I *want* and what my irrational emotions tell me to do are two different things entirely. Still no return call from AC. It's been several hours.

10. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

You might talk to the parents of the child who had been bitten. They can contact the CDC and they will get the ball rolling. Don't count on AC to be proactive in this case. The CDC will goose this along pretty quickly if the parents get involved.

If not, keep the dog contained for a couple of weeks, if he shows no signs of disease, quietly remove him to a remote location and SSS. And every other dog that shows aggression towards your chickens, do the same, quietly and efficiently. Less stress and less heartache involved all around when you don't have to wait around for what is fair and logical, and keep hoping people will do the right thing. Eliminate the stressor and eliminate the stress.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by